Does the STI have enough power for these 3 amps?

This is a discussion on Does the STI have enough power for these 3 amps? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Currently I'm running an Alpine F540 for the front and rear speakers and a JL 500/1 for an Alpine SWR-1041D. ...

Does the STI have enough power for these 3 amps?

Currently I'm running an Alpine F540 for the front and rear speakers and a JL 500/1 for an Alpine SWR-1041D. I'm looking to add more low end kick to my system and consequently want to add another 10" sub. Will adding another 10" sub and another JL 500/1 be too taxing on the STI alternator and battery?

Thanks,
    Neo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you might be okay, I know in my Acura I had a 600x4 for the mids and a 1500x1 for the bass and the lights dimmed when the bass hit so I bought a capacitor. You might want to look into a cap as it solved my problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Adampops
    I think you might be okay, I know in my Acura I had a 600x4 for the mids and a 1500x1 for the bass and the lights dimmed when the bass hit so I bought a capacitor. You might want to look into a cap as it solved my problems.
    thanks for the input. do you know how many amps your alternator on the Acura put out? I think the STI puts out about 90.

I tried to find the exact stock alternator online but came up short with rebuilt and new ones from other companies. Anyways, I found mine to be between 80 amps and 100 amps (new from different company).

JL amps

You need to run better amps man, otherwise your electrical system is going to get hammered all the time. The JL amps have pathetic power supplies when compared to an Alpine V12, the big Kenwoods, etc. Try something with a wholly regulated power supply and you'll find a massive difference in electrical control as well as low end frequency quality.

One amp per sub = weak ass amps.

audioboy@mac.com

100x4 McIntosh MC431M to 2 sets of MB Quarts
    500x1 McIntosh MC443M to two Kicker Solobaric 10s
    Sony Mobile Reference head unit/processor
    iPod photo 40gig