EGT gauge install question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on EGT gauge install question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just purchased an EGT gauge by omori and I am going to be installing it soon. My question is ...

EGT gauge install question

I just purchased an EGT gauge by omori and I am going to be installing it soon. My question is about the tap needed to install the bung into the manifold. I read one write up by BigSky WRX on this forum where he used a 1/8" BSPT tap while installing the same Omori gauge that I'm getting. I read another persons install, which was an Autometer gauge, where he used a 1/8" NPT tap. I have access to a machine shop and the owner of that shop will do the drilling and tapping for me, he said he only has NPT taps, and he isn't familiar with BSPT taps. My question is, is there a big difference in the two taps and will the instructions for the gauge tell me which tap to use. My boost gauge from Omori has terrible instructions. If need be, I will buy the right tap, but I would rather not if it isn't a big deal.

-Mike
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know what the difference is, but you want to use the right tap. The instructions should tell you, and if not, just take the bung to the place and they can size it and find out for sure what it is.

It will probably be the BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) because of omori being a foreign gauge maker. The autometer uses the NPT (National Pipe Thread) because of them being an American company. Just check the threads of each by lining the tap up with the bung. If the threads fall into each other it will work, if they dont then it wont. A bspt tap can be found at any local hardware store.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Both taps are the same size, 1/8". From my previous instructions from Omori I am not sure if they will tell me the tap size. I guess I can wait and see. I should have the gauge this weekend.
    Does anyone else know what the difference between these taps is? What did you use for your EGT gauge install?
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

thanks, I'll probably just buy the right tap, why mess around over 10 bucks.
    '04 WRB premium package.

Yeh, both taps are 1/8" in diameter, but the difference is the number of threads per inch or TPI.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.