05 USDM STi Gauge Cluster to 02 WRX Issues

This is a discussion on 05 USDM STi Gauge Cluster to 02 WRX Issues within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently put in a 05 USDM STi gauge cluster into my 02 WRX. I did the plug modification and ...

05 USDM STi Gauge Cluster to 02 WRX Issues

I recently put in a 05 USDM STi gauge cluster into my 02 WRX. I did the plug modification and b-28 wire cutting as stated on some of the threads I found. Everything went smoothly BUT the only problems are: 1) my ABS light is always on and along with 2) constant, annoying buzzing sound (part of the shift light function I presume).

I searched EVERYWHERE and it doesn't seem like there's any documentation on how to resolve the buzzing sound other than turning on the headlights. One member briefly mentioned he removed the buzzer but didn't go into details. Could someone tell me how to go about resolving this buzzing issue?

I suppose I could live with ABS light been constantly on. But if anyone has any idea on how to correct this issue, I'm all ears.

Also any 05 USDM STi gauge cluster wiring diagram would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is the shift light flashing?

Shift light is not the problem. It functions normally from what I could tell. I could set the shift point, adjust beeper on or off (according to screen display anyway), & etc. I didn't test it while driving since the constant buzzing was just too much to bear.

I think I will try turning on the headlight this weekend to see if the buzzing goes away. Supposedly the buzzing goes away by turning on the headlight.

I removed my DRL. I wonder if that could be the cause of constant buzzing...

My DRLs are disabled in my 04 without any problem. I get a rear diff temp light all the time is my only problem.

Do you mind telling me (step by step) how you installed your gauge cluster? I'm assuming you installed an '05 cluster into your '04, right?

Did you also have to shave one of the wiring harness plugs? I used the ridge in the middle of the plug as the guide and just shaved off one of the smaller ridges on the side that didn't fit into the cluster. This leaves 2 pins open (not plugged in). I wonder if this is the cause of constant buzzing and ABS light on...

I took a cluster from an 04 to put in my 04. Sounds like they might have made some changes to the harness - I clipped the wire I read in whatever instructions I found on scoobymods and it was plug n play from there. In retrospect I don't think I even needed to clip that wire.

I kinda suspected that.

Yep, there's a difference between '05 and '04 wiring.

Since no one seems to have an answer on this one, I decided to bite the bullet and just pull the buzzer out of the gauge cluster and pray for the best. And it worked for me!

You have to carefully open all tabs and pull out the back panel cover. Make sure you don't forget to release 3 tabs in the middle of the cluster. The key thing is DO NOT force it open. When you release all tabs, the back panel cover will just pop off.

The buzzer is the little round thing, located in the lower left hand corner of the i/c board. You willl see 'bz258' or some alphanumerics like that in the corner. Carefully cut loose the glue on both sides of the buzzer. I pulled it off by keep twisting it clockwise and counter clockwise until it's loose enough to be pulled right off.

I also taped up all non-essential lights, i.e. dccd, and rear diff. temp. lights with black eletrical tape. I was able to tape dccd from behind but had to tape over the rear diff. temp and ABS lights from the front. It actually works better and doesn't look that bad if you just tape it in the front; just make sure you cut the piece of tape nice and straight (and the right size) to make it look nice.

Make sure you cut the b-28 wire (I have a '02) before you plug in your new STi gauge cluster.

Good luck.

I had electrical tape over the CEL in my old cluster but I've been hesitant to open the new one up after ruining the old one and spending $500 on an STi cluster, especially since I wasn't sure if I'd be able to tape over the back like before or if it had to be on the front. Do you have pics?

Is your CEL on because of your mods?

I get CEL once per week but I just erase right away with my OBD II reader (if it's the same code). I think it's probably better that way instead of taping it over...just in case if something else goes wrong with the engine.

You can get one from AutoZone or PepBoys. I got mine off the eBay for around $78.

Yeah, the CEL was from my exhaust, and at one point because I was overboosting with an MBC. I ditched the MBC and finally got some resistors to fix up pipe and downpipe CELs shortly after I got the cluster. I feel a lot better about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by qoncept
    Is the shift light flashing?
    Also to answer your original question.

No, my shift light does not flash either.

I'm not sure what you do with your car, but I realized at my last autox how much I like the shiftlight. I don't pay much attention to my tach at all once I'm in 2nd gear and at our last event I was right around 7k a the fastest point. I'd have had no idea if it werent for the buzzer going off at 6500. If you're up for playing around you might want to try to find a way to leave it connected.