audio system question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on audio system question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Debating between a V1 vs upgrading the audio system - since I'm an older far+ who drives like a turtle, ...

Question audio system question

Debating between a V1 vs upgrading the audio system - since I'm an older far+ who drives like a turtle, I'm leaning towards replacing the audio system

Several questions on that note:

1. Can I put in a single DIN receiver & if so where can I find a filler(?) for the extra space?

2. Are car aduio similar in concept to the home audio stuff? By concept I mean: receiver header unit -> amplifier -> speaker/subs?

3. I think it's out of reach but anyways - are there reasonable cost wide-screen double DIN screen+receiver out there?

4. I've looked @ Crutchfield but the MY03 Subaru is not up yet - I guess I can use the MY02 WRX choice?

TIA,
    Robert
    --------------------------------
    MY03 Sonic Yellow Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes you can use a MY02 WRX. As far as the double dins go, they are ok, but I would consider a single din since you'll have more options. I bought my entire system fro Crutchfield including an Alpine 7874 head unit that matches the interior perfect. Crutchfield provides the single din pocket that fills the gap. They also provide you with all the harnesses you'll need to install your stereo. Mind you, the front speakers they reccomend will not fit the adapters they provide without some modification.
    Last edited by ifantig; 09-23-2002 at 01:59 PM.

1. Single DIN is probably the better option b/c double DIN units are pretty hard to come by. The Legacy DIN pocket is probably the best option to cover up the extra space. You should be able to pick one up from your dealer for next to nothing.

2. You can greatly improve your sound quality for about $200 just by replacing the door speakers with coaxials. Even the best head units will sound bad with the flimsy, paper stock speakers. If you're really serious, your looking at head unit, amplifiers, separates/subs which will cost you close to $1,000 minimum with installation.

4. Crutchfield is very over-priced. There are many cheaper online alternatives like Ikesound.com.

ifantig, palaban:

Thanx I guess I have to make up my mind on how much I want to spend. So it's not the head unit but more so the important part seems to be the speakers. I like the looks of some Alpine head units so maybe I can start cheap by replacing the door speakers & getting a head unit that has pre-outs (for the future).

Robert
    --------------------------------
    MY03 Sonic Yellow Sedan

…sounds like a plan

Some are still divided as to what is more bang for the buck - speakers or h/u. My thinking is if you change the speakers, you'll get better quality and you'll still have a 6 cd changer. I also don't think you'll have to worry about anyone stealing your lovely stock h/u.

Good luck!

speakers

what kind of setup has anyone done for the front door speakers, i was thinkin polk components for a couple hundred bucks. I want to keep the dash unit, but if i cant hook it up to a sub, or an amp for the speakers, i may ditch it... any suggestions? does anyone know of a place where i can get the subaru speaker harnesses at?? Thanks, -Jason (black 03 wrx sedan)

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I wrote a huge response on why headunits are the most important part of any audio system and then realized how old this post was.

Man, I need to get some rest. Sorry for flogging the dead horse.....once again.
    Last edited by ej20fan; 09-25-2004 at 02:32 PM.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.