Boost Controller to LOWER boost?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Boost Controller to LOWER boost? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i was thinking about getting one of those greddy profec II B-spec or whatever boost controllers because i want ...

Boost Controller to LOWER boost?

so i was thinking about getting one of those greddy profec II B-spec or whatever boost controllers because i want to lower the boost and perhaps get better mileage....it has two setttings....one could be for the normal boost, or perhaps slightly more....and the other could be for very little or no boost....would i have any problems doing this? are there negative consequences to doing this? what is the boost in a stock 02 WRX? any help would be grealy appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well theoretically you could put lower boost(well at least up to the limit of the spring on the wastegate)....however, you wouldn't be altering the fueling of the car now would you....Indeed the ECU will make minor adjustments, but this is done within a narrow range, which is likely out of the scope of what you intend. As a consequence, you'll not only have very little power(which the stock Impreza has already little of)...but also have the possibility of simply running rich rather that saving fuel.

Futhermore, whenever you actually want the use the power, you'll have to relegate to switching back and forth between boost settings.

I suggest you simply learn to use the gearbox and run a higher gear when you don't need much accelerative torque and want to cruise.

i am not trying to say who knows what better, or argue....i would just like the tell you what my step father, who has been a mechanic for a good 35 years has to say....he says that "the fuel trim is controled by the mass airflow, throttle position and oxygen sensor....less air pressuer going in should not change the air/ fuel ratio"....if you could maybe let me know if this is correct....or not....either way, i would appreciate the help....thanks again....

-Rick

i had a profec bspec 2 a LONG time ago, had nothing but problems with it, so within a week i took it off and got rid of it. if you want to see what less boost is like, just take off the vacuum hose from the turbo and wastegate, and plug the stock boost controller, and run a vacuum line from the wastegate to the turbo, that will generate about 8lbs.

-Anthony
    Quote Originally Posted by psb02wrx
    while you carpe diem, tell her to carpe deez nuts.
    Fun In the Snow
    STi in the making...

what about the accessPORT....

i know it is a lot more money....but the accessport you can get for the wrx would change the fuel curve as well as the boost...giving me the better mileage that i want right?....i would probably have to drive about 100,000miles in order for the better mileage to compensate for the cost of the accessport, so i guess it is not so practical....but that thing is sweet anyway....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyrth
    i am not trying to say who knows what better, or argue....i would just like the tell you what my step father, who has been a mechanic for a good 35 years has to say....he says that "the fuel trim is controled by the mass airflow, throttle position and oxygen sensor....less air pressuer going in should not change the air/ fuel ratio"....if you could maybe let me know if this is correct....or not....either way, i would appreciate the help....thanks again....

-Rick
    If you read closely to my post, you notice my comment about the ECU-via sensors throttle, O2, and MAF(or MAP)-will make adjustments to maintain proper A/F ratios. However, this works within a narrow range...effective for general climate changes but not for massive changes in boost pressure.

The lowest you can go is the limit of the spring pressure in the wastegate which anthony tried to clarify.

I don't see why anyone would bother with making such modifications for mileage reasons. Theoretically, yes an Accessport or similar can go for optimal mileage but the stock ECU settings are conservative as they already are. I don't see why you simply don't carry a higher gear for a given speed to maintain low consumption.....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.