Flickering Gauges/Headlights
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Flickering Gauges/Headlights within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this on their WRX and what suggestions they have. After the car ...

Flickering Gauges/Headlights

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this on their WRX and what suggestions they have. After the car has been running for a few minutes, the gauges start flickering really badly, sometimes they completley will go dark then come back. Also, the headlights always flicker. I thought the issue might be a bad alternator, but I had it tested and it is functioning properly. I took the car to subaru and they said that my alternator can't handle all the after market I have in the car. The only "aftermarket" electronics I have added are three autometer gauges (boost, a/f, oil temp) and a turbo timer. I find it hard to believe my alternator can't handle those additions. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
    It takes a fast car to drive in a straight line...It takes a fast driver to surpass others on the endless curvy sections of ashpalt we call "roads".

-------------------------------

308whp / 275wtq @ 20psi on 93 octane

Axis Stage 2 2.5 USDM STI Block (Summer 2005)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It sounds to me liike you might have a short or a bad ground? You might want to go check those
    ASE Certified tech. Nissan Master Certified

2003 WRB Auto Wingless Wrx Turbo Timer
    Perrin Short Intake, Downpipe And CatBack. Waiting on the weather for install to cold.

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertable 355Ci 423rwhp 593 ft/lbs tq Nice little play toy

I had similar problems in my car about 6 months ago. I got a used alternator and everything has been fine since. :fingerscrossed:

Oh, and my alternator also tested fine but obviously wasn't. The same with my wife's saturn a few months ago.

Yeah I talked to a friend of mine that is a subaru tech at Gwinnet Subaru in Atlanta, GA. He also was pretty sure it was a bad alternator. I believe it is due to the hood I have allowing water and rain to get into the engine alot of the time. It may have damaged or shorted out something in the alternator. Thanks for the help.
    It takes a fast car to drive in a straight line...It takes a fast driver to surpass others on the endless curvy sections of ashpalt we call "roads".

-------------------------------

308whp / 275wtq @ 20psi on 93 octane

Axis Stage 2 2.5 USDM STI Block (Summer 2005)

sounds like something's up in your charging system, or a short that's only active when your car's running. Interesting that you haven't had problems starting up the car yet.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight04
    Yeah I talked to a friend of mine that is a subaru tech at Gwinnet Subaru in Atlanta, GA. He also was pretty sure it was a bad alternator. I believe it is due to the hood I have allowing water and rain to get into the engine alot of the time. It may have damaged or shorted out something in the alternator. Thanks for the help.
    Funny, I almost said something about this. I believe that it's water also. Not sure if it's from rain but when washing your car the pressure would definitely cause the water to enter. I've been really careful when washing my car since this happened.

You could always pull an alternator out of a Marine engine.... I becha that one wouldnt care too much if ya got a little water in it

kidding
    Boost is an addiction...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.