Subaru WRX Forum banner

Flickering Gauges/Headlights

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Rokkit 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this on their WRX and what suggestions they have. After the car has been running for a few minutes, the gauges start flickering really badly, sometimes they completley will go dark then come back. Also, the headlights always flicker. I thought the issue might be a bad alternator, but I had it tested and it is functioning properly. I took the car to subaru and they said that my alternator can't handle all the after market I have in the car. The only "aftermarket" electronics I have added are three autometer gauges (boost, a/f, oil temp) and a turbo timer. I find it hard to believe my alternator can't handle those additions. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

#2 ·
It sounds to me liike you might have a short or a bad ground? You might want to go check those

#5 ·
Yeah I talked to a friend of mine that is a subaru tech at Gwinnet Subaru in Atlanta, GA. He also was pretty sure it was a bad alternator. I believe it is due to the hood I have allowing water and rain to get into the engine alot of the time. It may have damaged or shorted out something in the alternator. Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
DarkKnight04 said:
Yeah I talked to a friend of mine that is a subaru tech at Gwinnet Subaru in Atlanta, GA. He also was pretty sure it was a bad alternator. I believe it is due to the hood I have allowing water and rain to get into the engine alot of the time. It may have damaged or shorted out something in the alternator. Thanks for the help.
Funny, I almost said something about this. I believe that it's water also. Not sure if it's from rain but when washing your car the pressure would definitely cause the water to enter. I've been really careful when washing my car since this happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.