gauge grounding

This is a discussion on gauge grounding within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys im doing a pillar gauge mount and i managed to get it to work. i hooked my wires ...

gauge grounding

hey guys im doing a pillar gauge mount and i managed to get it to work. i hooked my wires up but the lights dont turn on. i am guessing my grounding wire isnt right. i just have a red/black/yellow wire. i tried to ground it to a bolt near the clutch pedal but it didnt seem to work. let me see if i got my wires correct:

red=switched power
    yellow=constant power
    black=ground

does that sound right? i cant figure out where else to ground the wire.
    i would like to tap a ground wire but there are tons of black wires under there. i dont think they are all ground LOL!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It looks like your gauge has a common ground between the lights and the operating power. So if your gauges work at all, the problem is not the ground.

What type of gauges? When you say switched power do you mean on with the headlights? Or on with the car?
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

Have you tried checking out the wire you tapped into for the lights? If you tell us the exact type of gauge we may better help you.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Quote Originally Posted by boosted scoob
    Have you tried checking out the wire you tapped into for the lights? If you tell us the exact type of gauge we may better help you.

oops i knew i forgot to mention something! they are SPW e7 gauges. i hooked my red wire to a switched power wire (where power comes on when u turn the key to ACC) and my yellow to constant power which is a big white wire under the dash.

hope that helps! i used a test light to figure out which was which.

So with only those three wires, there is no switched illumination then? Meaning they should be lit up any time the car is on?

When you have the gauges connected as they are now, what happens when you turn the car on? Anything?

e7? Do you mean x7?
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    05 CBR600F4i

Quote Originally Posted by 04blkWRX
    So with only those three wires, there is no switched illumination then? Meaning they should be lit up any time the car is on?

When you have the gauges connected as they are now, what happens when you turn the car on? Anything?

e7? Do you mean x7?

yeah i mean x7, sorry i keep wanting to call them e7's for some reason!

when i turn the car on, no lights come on. all i get is just the needle moving! im not 100% sure how these wires are supposed to be hooked up. the instructions are extremely poor and doesnt even mention how to hook the wires up. it just tells u how to hook the tube up for the mechanical part of the gauge.

Ok, I was looking at some SPW gauges and it appears that they are mechanical gauges, i.e. the gauge connects directly to the sensor, not to an electrical sending unit. If that's not true, just ignore the rest of this post.

If they are mechanical, you probably want your switched wire to go to a circuit that it on with the headlights, and your "constant" to go to a circuit that is on with the car. You might kill your battery if you connect your constant to a circuit that is truly constantly on.

Once you connect the "constant", turn on the car with the switched wire disconnected, then touch that wire to the same circuit as the constant. If your gauges work AND light up, go ahead and connect the lighting circuit. Otherwise, maybe your gauge illumination is broken...
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    05 CBR600F4i

A good wire for constant is the cig. lighter.

A good wire for lighting is found on the clock pod connector.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Quote Originally Posted by boosted scoob
    A good wire for constant is the cig. lighter.

A good wire for lighting is found on the clock pod connector.
    anywhere near the pillar i can connect to without running wires to the center of the car? im gonna tap both wires together on my constant power wire and see if it lights up. i should have done that in the first place. i wish spw would have labeled their wires on their stupid instructions. if i cannot figure it out, ill go to the motorsport shop i bought it from and ask them to hook me up. they are cool about these things and can do it for free if needed. i didnt have time to work with them while i was there.

ok i figured out my wiring problem! my switched power connection was not connected to the wire i intended on hooking it to. i used one of those little crimper things that connects to the main wire and splices into both at the same time when u push the little "door" down to lock it.

kinda same problem. i hooked up my autometer boost gauge (mechanical) and also did the lighting into the clip for the subaru boost gauge. the clip is behind the radio and not attached to anything. I then was putting electical tape to hold everything in place, and the wires fell out, now my headlights turn on, but my gauge cluster, and the boost gauge dont light up