Need car stereo advice

This is a discussion on Need car stereo advice within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here is what I am trying to do. Put a monitor where the OEM radio is, and put the dvd ...

Need car stereo advice

Here is what I am trying to do.
    Put a monitor where the OEM radio is, and put the dvd player/radio (in one unit) where the clock is now. I also want to connect my iPod to this radio/dvd player.

Here is the problem. I cannot find any radios that have a built in DVD player and will allow an iPod to be connected to the same unit using a device like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yr2CIr2...I=500KCA420Is:

So basicly I'm looking for a built in DVD player that can have a unit like this connected to it. Pioneer and JVC look promising but the models that have built in dvd players (without screens) are too old to use the newer interfaces.

Any Ideas?
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

check online for the alpine dva-7996. its a few years old, but still a high end unit. it has the Ai net control for your ipod hookup. that should be good, however you can just get some RCA hookups for any new dvd player and connect it to your ipod for 5-20 bucks. you would have to use your ipod to change the music, however i heard this is an easier way to change songs. let us know what u want to do
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

A friend has an ipod that transmits via radio frequency to your sound system, it works quite well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by medic
    A friend has an ipod that transmits via radio frequency to your sound system, it works quite well.
    If you're big on sound quality, I'd keep looking for a way to wire the iPod in. The FM transmitters really fall short on SQ, in my opinion.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Unless you want to be able to control the ipod through the radio, using a input/rca interface would be the cheapest/easiest way of doing it. From what you're saying, controlling the Ipod via the HU, doesn't seem to ring very high on your priority list, as the radio is out of the way, and you're mounting it in a location that is extremely difficult to reach while driving.

Here's a trick, ANY RADIO that has a CD Changer control, can be wired to accept an RCA aux input. These can be had for around $20. All you need fro there is a RCA and a RCA to Headphone converter plug (radio shack $6). If you let me know what kind of radio you're going for, I can get you trhe interfaces.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Good ideas, thanks.

does the alpine unit have a dvd player?
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)