Has anyone's clock died?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Has anyone's clock died? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It's started acting up about a week ago -I would start the car, and the clock display would be off. ...

Has anyone's clock died?

It's started acting up about a week ago -I would start the car, and the clock display would be off. Then after a few minutes, it came on (clock reading was OK). Now, it's completely dead. I worked on it today -fuse is OK, and the clock itself receives power the way it should (12V to clock, 12V to display -only when key is in ignition).

Has this happened to anyone else?
    Last edited by TonyG; 02-26-2005 at 10:12 PM. Reason: grammar
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Until you wrote this thread I thought I was the only one. My clock went about a month ago. The fuse was fine too I was thinking a loose wire because of how it went on and off like it did. I haven't gotten the time to check it though. The clock probably went because of all the pot holes we have around here. I haven't brought to Subaru yet because I don't want to get charged $200 for a loose wire or a clock.

I think it's the LED display, since everything else is OK. It's easy enough to replace, but I wonder how much Subaru will rape me on the new part.
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Update:

Got a new clock from Subaru for 50-something dollars. Sure enough, that was it. It's very easy to replace -just pop out the dash panel, unplug the old clock, replace with new clock and your done.
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Have an '03. Clock was bad when I brought the car new. Drove it home anyway while the dealer ordered replacement which was covered under warranty. Clock display always showed 12:00 no matter what you did. Would have considered trashing the clock in favor of center gage pod but the car already had a steering column mounted boost gage installed.

happened in my dad's forester...it's the same clock, different location. I assume it was the evil "japanese car fairys." They're responsible for everything that goes wrong in our subies

mine died too

Clock petered out after a mtn biking trip to Fruita, CO - apparently it didn't like the dirt roads there.

Any one come up with a cheap repair?
    2002 Rex - Blue Wagon

Just replace your clock with a nice gauge pod and some gauges. That will solve the problem.

2005 WRX Sedan
    2005 Honda CRF 50
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 600
    1994 Suzuki Sidekick (Beater)

Quote Originally Posted by ewingmh
    Clock petered out after a mtn biking trip to Fruita, CO - apparently it didn't like the dirt roads there.

Any one come up with a cheap repair?
    $50-something dollars for a new clock from Subaru. Simple 5 minute repair.
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

simple repair

How does one simply "pop" out the dash panel? Maybe while I'm in there I can tighten up all the rattles and squeaks... they're fun fast cars... but they're definitely not well built on the interior.
    2002 Rex - Blue Wagon

TonyG,

That's exactly like what happened to mine. I thought it was just a cold-weather connection, as it would come back on when the interior warmed up, but soon completely quit ...
    I did some web-searching, and some guy claimed a loose resistor was the problem. So, being the adept repair-man that I think I am, I pulled it apart this afternoon. Yes, I broke two of the small tabs holding the clock into the dash pod, and all three tabs holding the clock circuit board in, but it went back in just fine.
    I pulled the clock body apart, desoldered and swung the LED assembly up out of the way, and sure enough, the 510 ohm resistor's left solder was broken! A little gentle heat and solder, put it all back together, and Cooool, it works again! (for free too!) Just be careful of all the plastics; they don't bend back into place very well.
    I was so proud of myself, I had to let someone know. (my girlfried didn't think it was such a big deal, but I knew better)

I have the SPT gauge cluster, so no clock. I used a $10 clock from the auto part store to resolve this issue (w/double sided tape).
    04 wrx wagon D/D
    02 S2K Summer Fun (sold)

if this happens to me i'm just gonna go find one at the bone yard. mines been flashin oddly lately.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by buymywit View Post
    TonyG,

That's exactly like what happened to mine. I thought it was just a cold-weather connection, as it would come back on when the interior warmed up, but soon completely quit ...
    I did some web-searching, and some guy claimed a loose resistor was the problem. So, being the adept repair-man that I think I am, I pulled it apart this afternoon. Yes, I broke two of the small tabs holding the clock into the dash pod, and all three tabs holding the clock circuit board in, but it went back in just fine.
    I pulled the clock body apart, desoldered and swung the LED assembly up out of the way, and sure enough, the 510 ohm resistor's left solder was broken! A little gentle heat and solder, put it all back together, and Cooool, it works again! (for free too!) Just be careful of all the plastics; they don't bend back into place very well.
    I was so proud of myself, I had to let someone know. (my girlfried didn't think it was such a big deal, but I knew better)

Good info. I probably could have saved money and repaired the bad solder joint if I was as thorough as you.
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

My clock has been dead for about a month now. Last weekend I pulled it out of the dash to check out the resistors, only to find that they were all intact. The LED screen itself appears to be the culprit on mine though, since it has this burned/different color look to part of it (it's hard to describe), so it looks like I'll have to be ordering one from the dealer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.