why are shiftknobs so expensive?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on why are shiftknobs so expensive? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the momo one costs like 80 some friggin dollars!!!! what's up with that? i installed a SS in my car ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

why are shiftknobs so expensive?

the momo one costs like 80 some friggin dollars!!!! what's up with that? i installed a SS in my car a while back, but overtightened the stock shiftknob, and cause the threading is plastic, it got stripped, so im in the market for a new one. but i want something reasonable here...i checked vivid and teagues, and they didnt have much selection (or price was too expensive)
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

because its either momo (quality and high price) or cheapies made specifically for hondas that glow neon and are tasteless chrome colors that sell in Pep Boys.

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    its just a piece of aluminum!!!!! just some molded piece of junk with a sticker on it, or wrapped w/ leather - i don't get it....something so miniscule costs like 90???no way
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Because people will pay it, of course. It's like Gucci, you're paying $20 for the knob and $60 for the label appeal. Higher prices mean lower volume but higher margins, and apparently that's where MOMO has decided they want to position themselves. Seems to be working....
    Last edited by AutoXJunkie; 09-18-2002 at 06:06 AM.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

If you're looking for a Momo Race Airleather, you can get them for $65 shipped here:

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/show...hreadid=215541

Hope that helps!

Or, you can also get this

knob
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Kira

knob
    thats...just...terrible lol

its like the pet rock idea
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Originally posted by Kira

knob
    LOL

you're funny.

dR

In all fairness, SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Shift knobs are relatively low quantity item made from pretty high quality material. Pay to play, if you don't want to pay, use your stock knob!

I honestly feel that my Race Air Leather was worth every penny of the $70 I paid for it. It is weighted nicely, the shape adds to my driving experience, and IT LOOKS GOOD.

I Support ClubWRX
    well, truth is, i probly WOULD be using my stock knob, but i stripped the threading cause i overtightend it on my SS, so now its kinda loose and it vibrates over 5000rpm
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Originally posted by Penguinking
    well, truth is, i probly WOULD be using my stock knob, but i stripped the threading cause i overtightend it on my SS, so now its kinda loose and it vibrates over 5000rpm
    I sell you mine. PM me!

-Jim

Re: why are shiftknobs so expensive?

Originally posted by Penguinking
    the momo one costs like 80 some friggin dollars!!!! what's up with that? i installed a SS in my car a while back, but overtightened the stock shiftknob, and cause the threading is plastic, it got stripped, so im in the market for a new one. but i want something reasonable here...i checked vivid and teagues, and they didnt have much selection (or price was too expensive)
    The Kartboy Knuckleball shift knob is my choice bar none. it screws onto the shaft (like OEM) instead of bolting on like aftermarket. It's brushed aluminum (blk or silv) and is only like $40.

Added bonus: It's much shorter in overall height than the stock knob so it's almost like a short-throw shifter! I LOVE it.

I Support ClubWRX
    actually now i'm looking at the ichiban racing shift knob which is basically a momo look-alike
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

They are expensive because image-conscious ricers will shell out big bucks for them.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

BTW Jim did you use an adapter?
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.