4-Point Seatbelts w/stock seats?

This is a discussion on 4-Point Seatbelts w/stock seats? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I was getting my car, I had the option of getting custom leather. I was against it because I ...

4-Point Seatbelts w/stock seats?

When I was getting my car, I had the option of getting custom leather. I was against it because I wanted to get Sparco seats or something I know 4-point seatbelts were made for. The saes guy said I could use the stock WRX seats with 4 point seatbelts... When I talked toa friend of mine after getting the car, he said it can't be done. Now, that's what I was thinking, but the leather is so nice, I didn't question it! Not to mention I'd lose the side impact airbags.

So, can 4-point seatbelts be used with them? Or is there some kind of modification to the seats that would need to be done?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

Thanks

~ Dan (Zapix)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well you could do it this way with a harness bar or do it with the quick release to the back seat.

But 4 points will work leather stock seats, oh and if you get the leatherseats.com kit it come with a break away seam for the air bag so you will not loose it.
    Last edited by iv30; 09-17-2002 at 10:47 AM.

i was thinking this same thing on the way home. THey have harnesses that bolt to the floor. I saw it in some import magazine. NOt specially for the WRX though. Where did you get that bar that the harness' attach to?
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

The bar came from www.speedwaremotorsports.com
    they are local here so I just went by and picked it up
    but the do sell on there web site.

Here the exact link
    http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/safety/hbars.asp

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    THey have harnesses that bolt to the floor. I saw it in some import magazine.
    That's really not a smart thing to do. You'll find lots of import modded in this way and many times, the harnesses are for the look of being a racecar. However, in the event of a crash, as you move forward(assume crash front), the harness will allow you to go forward AND DOWN(compressing down on seat and crushing it too)....this leads to compression of the spine. This is why it is best to mount harnesses as horizontal as possible. For racing, the floor mount is illegal(FIA mandates something like 25deg from horizontal max). The only legal non 25deg mount that is allowed is when there is a harness bar that acts as a horizontal guide, but the harness is actually mounted elsewhere.

Originally posted by schischwein

That's really not a smart thing to do. You'll find lots of import modded in this way and many times, the harnesses are for the look of being a racecar. However, in the event of a crash, as you move forward(assume crash front), the harness will allow you to go forward AND DOWN(compressing down on seat and crushing it too)....this leads to compression of the spine. This is why it is best to mount harnesses as horizontal as possible. For racing, the floor mount is illegal(FIA mandates something like 25deg from horizontal max). The only legal non 25deg mount that is allowed is when there is a harness bar that acts as a horizontal guide, but the harness is actually mounted elsewhere.
    wow thanks for the info, i wasn't going to get them from the floor i kind've thought it looked cheesy, but thanks for the info on all the safety stuff it's a good know type of thing...ya know
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Well, that's great news to me! I was going to get a brace bar, and do it that way, but after what my Super Neon friend told me, I was pissed off. So, this brings back the good plan I've had going.

Well then, 4-points are officially on the 6 month list.

THANKS AGAIN!

~ Dan (Zapix)

I just mounted the rear two points to the seatbelt anchor bolts of the rear seat. It's worked great so far.

--Eric

i lvoe those harnesses wow i can't wait to get those
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!