Could you automatically crack the window open?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Could you automatically crack the window open? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was thinking about my parent's old BMWs the other day, when I remembered that every time you opened the ...

Question Could you automatically crack the window open?

I was thinking about my parent's old BMWs the other day, when I remembered that every time you opened the door in them, the window would crack open about 1/4", and then close again a second after you shut the door. That got me thinking... Wouldn't it be nice to have something like that on the WRX's driver-side door? That way, you wouldn't have to crack it open and shut every time you get in to keep from getting that stupid wind noise (I know I'm not the only one with the wind noise)!

Has anyone done anything like this to their Rex before? Do any of you know how it might be done?

Just an idea!
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer
    I was thinking about my parent's old BMWs the other day, when I remembered that every time you opened the door in them, the window would crack open about 1/4", and then close again a second after you shut the door. That got me thinking... Wouldn't it be nice to have something like that on the WRX's driver-side door? That way, you wouldn't have to crack it open and shut every time you get in to keep from getting that stupid wind noise (I know I'm not the only one with the wind noise)!

Has anyone done anything like this to their Rex before? Do any of you know how it might be done?

Just an idea!
    Are you talking about stopping the air pressure built up by closing the door?

I think that's the reason that the BMWs do this, but I want it to stop the wind noise from the driver-side window. You know, if you're going over ~40 mph, you can hear some wind coming from the window/gasket seal. If you crack the window open, then roll it back up, the noise goes away. Don't tell me that you don't experience this in your car!
    -Lee

I Support ClubWRX
    I think that's the reason that the BMWs do this, but I want it to stop the wind noise from the driver-side window. You know, if you're going over ~40 mph, you can hear some wind coming from the window/gasket seal. If you crack the window open, then roll it back up, the noise goes away. Don't tell me that you don't experience this in your car!
    I adjusted my windows myself when I put my doors back together during my rebuild, so I actually don't get the noise. In each quarter panel of our cars are vents to release pressurized air when the doors are closed.

I believe the real reason is to keep from having the beam, going around the window at the top, attached to the door but still has the window going up sealing into a seam instead of just pressing against the weather stripping.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I adjusted my windows myself when I put my doors back together during my rebuild, so I actually don't get the noise.
    So, when are you going to come adjust mine? As far as I know, I'm free this weekend.
    -Lee

I Support ClubWRX
    So, when are you going to come adjust mine? As far as I know, I'm free this weekend.
    Atlantic city for me this weekend....w00t!!!

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    WOW. I can't believe what I'm reading. I've honestly never even thought of that, nor would've imagined anyone ever attempting such a feat of Aristocratic imitation. I like to believe that BMW's do that cause they're engineers had a few too many pilsner's and Jever's. But then again, I hate the BMW's. Too much $$ for not enough .

If this works out, and you can get your windows to do so, post the vid. PLEASE!! It would almost be like that midget relay race Vs. the camel they had on Fox. Utterly absurd, yet something I have to support and be fascinated with. Anything you need to make this work, let me know.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Unhappy

I always thought that noise was my antenna.
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)

I have the same problem with my drivers side window - it's quite annoying. Let me know if anyone comes up with a solution. - Noise definitely goes away after rolling it down and putting it back up.
    2002 Rex - Blue Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.