Newbie sound question(s)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie sound question(s) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm a soon to be owner of a black wrx wagon and I can't wait! But, I've been reading about ...

Newbie sound question(s)

I'm a soon to be owner of a black wrx wagon and I can't wait! But, I've been reading about some of the different options I am thinking about putting into my car and I am still undecided.

Most of the posts here trash the upgraded sound system, so what I want to know is, which brands of speakers are being used and what is the sub? Also, the guy who is selling me the car is pushing the $80 tweeters as well. My question, after reading posts for the past two hours and bouncing around to suggested audio sites, is all this REALLY worth it? I'm not looking to go out and spend $500 bucks or more for a whole new set-up. But, for the $300 upgrade to start sounding like crap a month after I drive off the lot would really suck. So, what should I do?

Also, and this really is a newbie question, is the dealer installed short shift option REALLY an STI? Or, skeptical me, is it something else? When I tested the wrx I thought to myself "I need to get a different shifter in here"... but I say if I'm going to sink the money into the shifter, then it damn well better be the STI grade stuff.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey jefe,

My WRX came with the upgraded stereo system and I am now in the process of replacing it. Personally I think the speakers suck. If I was in your position I would probably not go with the upgraded system and spend that $300 dollars on some aftermarket goodies. You could get a new deck and front speakers for that amount. Just my opinion.

As for the factory short shifter, my car came with that too. I'm not sure if it's sti but I do like it. I haven't had a chance to drive a WRX without the short shifter too compare so I'm afraid I'm not much help there.

Hope this helps.

Xlrater

It does! I've read enough about the sound system by now to realize that my money would be better spent on higher quality speakers. I'm not a huge audiophile, but I want good sound for the bucks I'm paying and it sounds to me like the upgrade isn't that good of a deal.

Thanks!

jefe,

As a general rule, OEM sound systems STINK! There, I said it. Usually, what they are asking for as an "upgrade", although better than the stock system, is way below any aftermarket system you could get for less than what they are asking. Of course, there are exceptions, but those are usually on cars the average person can't afford anyway.

In regards to the short shifter.... Yes, it is an STi unit (i.e. the whole linkage assembly). It's really up to you if you want to pay for that upgrade. Most people have simply gone with an aftermarket shortshifter that is substantially cheaper since it's just the shifter "stick" itself, not the whole assembly. I would imagine for most people, spending the $80 odd dollars for the aftermarket shortshifter is plenty good instead of the several hundred for the STi upgrade. Again though, it's really up to you in the end. Hope that helps.

BTW, welcome aboard the board to you jefe, and you too xlrater.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Thanks for the welcome WRXed!

jefe- If I had to choose again I would also go with a aftermarket short shifter kit as well. The perrin short shifter seems to be pretty cool. It's adjustable!!

Xlrater

I Support ClubWRX
    Almost every Subaru OEM accessory can be replaced by an aftermarket part that is cheaper and maybe even better. The gauges are expensive and crappy looking, the wheels are a total joke at 3 grand (plus if you buy it this way you don't get to keep 16s for snows), the upgraded stereo only sucks marginally less than stock, you can get japanese take-off STI suspension a lot cheaper than the SPT stuff, etc. etc. etc.

I only got the diff protector - it was only 80 bucks so I'm not bummed, but I've been told that I could have gotten one just as good or better for $50! I will soon get the bumper cover for sliding cargo into the back of my wagon. Oh, and I got the Subaru DIN pocket to replace the space left when I put in my single-DIN Alpine.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

my wrx came with the supposed speaker upgrade,,,,,good thing i didnt pay extra for it.....i would really have been upset.....it sounds just as bad, if not worse than abou tany oem stereo out there......do NOT spend money on it!!! just my .o2 thanks for listening
    DML

I have the stock system and it sucks pretty bad, so I bought the powered sub and it is at least bearable now.
    TJSUPE

Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm picking up my rex-waggon this weekend. I decided to go with the sti shifter because I'm good enough with the hands to put one in myself. However, I have decided against the stereo upgrade. Just not worth it from all the posts. I'm getting a black 2002 at a fairly decent price so I don't really mind paying just a little extra for the short throw.

Can't wait to get behind the wheel, and get those first 1000 miles out of the way!!!!

Re: Newbie sound question(s)

Originally posted by jefe
    Most of the posts here trash the upgraded sound system,
    I started my WRX life with the premium system and it's okay but certainly not good enough for me.

The single best reason I can give for getting the upgraded speakers is that they come with the deep speaker mounting rings so you can mount a real speaker in the hole. Otherwise, you have to make one yourself. Also, the tweeters come with an angled bracket which makes upgrading to aftermarket tweeters an easy screw-on process. I ended up going to Blaupunkt 6.5" components and am VERY happy with the way they sound.

Check these guys out too...

Nice place for custom sub enclosures for the tirewell.

http://www.subarusound.com

Car Audio

Jefe,
    I've worked in car audio for six years and if I've learned anything its that no one can tell you what sounds good! It's all opinion. Yes I think that Alpine sounds a hell of a lot better than Blaupunkt, and I can show you all the stats. that will prove that they have alot less distortion rate( amount of noise in percentage to sound they create) but ultamately you have to deside. With that said what kind of system are you looking for? A stereo and 4 speakers? what about a sub and a couple amps? It all depends on how LOUD you want to make it! Please note that amps do alot more that just make the music loud they can help your speakers from blowing by providing them "cleaner" power. If you want you can run a few brands by me and I'll tell you what I think. But the best advise I can give you is go around to several diffrent shops around you, take in one or two of your favoite CD's (try diffrent types of music, this way you'll truly test the speakers range) and just listen for a couple hours! Yeah it might piss off the shop but who the hell cares they'll get over it! I hope that this helps you out, but if there is anything more you need just E-mail me.
    Peace,
    Brandon

tan
    Originally posted by GV27
    Almost every Subaru OEM accessory can be replaced by an aftermarket part that is cheaper and maybe even better. The gauges are expensive and crappy looking, the wheels are a total joke at 3 grand (plus if you buy it this way you don't get to keep 16s for snows)....
    C
    Know what's interesting? The BBS rims from Subaru aren't available commericially, other than from Subaru. BBS-ag (germany) doesn't sell them. The closest thing that comes to its appearance are the BBS RC. It looks like these rims are specially made for Subaru, and thus the price gouging

Thanks for all the help guys! I've been too busy driving to reply
    I just went with the stock option, but down the road I'm thinking of going with a different set of speakers. Probably infinity or Boston Acoustics. Although, I really am partial to Alpine. The wife says I have to hold off until next spring before I can even get into that... oh well. At least she let me get the car!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the advice.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.