Long Drives
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Long Drives within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm loggin a little over 1000 miles a week in my subie for work and looking for something to make ...

Long Drives

I'm loggin a little over 1000 miles a week in my subie for work and looking for something to make the ride a little more enjoyable. Any suggestions would be great. Some of the stuff I've thought about would be aftermarket seats, upgrade stereo/speakers, gps. I'd like to keep it under a grand if possible. The wife gave the green light so I wanna take advantage of it before it changes.
    from the outside looking in you don't understand from the inside looking out you can't explaine

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd put part of that $1000 on upgrading the sound system. With all of the driving you do maybe a navagation system or satelite radio would be nice.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

iPod

get a seat massager, that should be nice
    what?

for the hardware sans wires and adapters:

get this head unit: $269
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13859

get this amp: $335
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11384

get these front speakers: $159
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11041

get these rear speakers: $115
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11040

get this sub w/ box: $99
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14154

this totals $977. and somewhere on the site i saw free shipping. use the rest to get the wiring kit to hook up the amp to the deck, battery, and speakers... the adapters below will be around $45, and the wires will be under $100 if you shop for good deals on quality cables.

i'd reccomend getting a wiring kit locally incase something doesn't fit..

1) ideally you'll need 3 sets of high quality RCA cables(so they resist electrical noise), i'd shoot for 3meters each, (17-18ft) (one for the front channels, one for the rear, and one for the sub if you want to adjust it seperately)

2) power wire and a fuse for the amp (prob 4gauge), a remore turn on wire (can be small gauge),

3) speaker wire- prob 16ft for each front, and maybe 10ft for each rear speaker. get a good high quality audio cable.

use this page below for info on fitment and any door panel trimming that may be needed. (usually very easy, just cutting plastic)..
    https://w109.webminders.com/iaperfor...ctionNumber=59

from what that website says, i believe the WRX-THK or the WRX-LRG-THK should work. it says in their chart that the mb quart speakers they listed only need the thick kit, but it might be safe to get the thick kit with large cutouts just incase the speaker basket is larger on the more recent models.

all said and done it should be just a bit over $1k... buy the hardware but hide the cost of the cables, hehe.. you'll LOVE the sound. the amp has a built in crossover so you can tune which frequencies go to which speaker. you'll get solid rich sound with this setup that will make you melt in your seat. the key is a quality head unit, i have the alpine 9831 model and mb quart speakers.. its sounds so liquid silky clean..

in order to save the to save the labor costs, do it yourself. its not hard to install this stuff. if you want a project it will probably take a full day, or all weekend if you work through it slowly. i can post some more info if you want on how to do it yourself. if you absolutely CANNOT go over $1k at all, let me know and i'll cut some corners but still keep as high of a quality sound as possible.
    Dave
    01 RS

also, this head unit accepts a satellite tuner which you control through the deck like a cd changer. that could be a cool upgrade down the road.
    Dave
    01 RS

Well...purchased an XM radio today the MiFy, did the install this afternoon but need to get a fuse before I can hard wire it in. Then move my boost gauge in a week or so I'll post some pics of my mount on it. Thanks for the input.
    from the outside looking in you don't understand from the inside looking out you can't explaine

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.