Where to get the audio signal to feed the amp

This is a discussion on Where to get the audio signal to feed the amp within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering where the best place to get the audio signal from to feed to an aftermarket amp would ...

Where to get the audio signal to feed the amp

I was wondering where the best place to get the audio signal from to feed to an aftermarket amp would be. I had the stock sub...should I use the speaker wire that is in the harnes? (If so, anyone know what is what in the harness?) Or do I have to take out the deck...and if so, do I need to splice the speaker wire to the amp into one of the wires coming out of the back of the deck? Front or rear?

Thanks!

Karl
    Red Rex Sedan 5 Spd
    - Tinted Windows, BEL 980
    - Hell of a list, ain't it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have been searching both clubs and all of my bookmarks and cannot find the wiring diagram for the stock subwoofer harness. Anyone willing to help?

Here's what I did. I bought a line out convertor and a stereo install kit you can find at Good Guys or some electronics store.

I tapped into the stock sub wiring harness with the wires coming from the line out convertor. I mounted the line out convertor underneath the center console, ran the rca cables out the back of the line out convertor underneath the carpet and the back seat and into the trunk.

You will have to run the main power wire for the amp from the engine compartment off of the battery, through the grommet in the firewall on the drivers side, underneath the dash, underneath the center console, underneath the carpet and the seats as well. Then the only hard part is finding a good grounding point for your amp in the trunk. If I ever have to take out the center console again I will take detailed pictures and post them in the audio section.

I also ran the remote switch from the battery through the new mess of wires and mounted a power switch in the center console. The other side of the remote switch goes to the cigarette lighter since that is an ignition wire. I believe the wire I used from the cigarette lighter was yellow. This way I can turn the amp on and off at will.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I did this install over 6 months ago.

Good luck.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL

Thanks for the reply... a few quetions/comments though.

My amp supports speaker level inputs, so I was not planning on getting a converter - unless it is really going to make a difference. I also was planning on mounting the amp underneath the passenger seat - unless there are big pro's to mounting it in the trunk.

Isn't there a hole in the firewall on the passenger side of the firewall that I can feed the power wire through? Also, where should I mount the fuse pass through for the power wire?

And last question - so splicing the remote wire into the lighter means that it will only have power when the car acces. are on and the amp will turn off when the key is out of the ignition?

(Would love if someone had a wiring diagram for the sub harness)

Thanks-
    Karl
    Red Rex Sedan 5 Spd
    - Tinted Windows, BEL 980
    - Hell of a list, ain't it?

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll be better off just using the speaker level inputs. One less component to mess with the sound.

Trunk is nice because of security and being out of the way. I have a wagon so my amps are under my seats and that works fine. I just cut a little board for each side (I have 4 little amps), mount the amps on it and put a little self-adhesive velcro on the back to prevent it from sliding.

There is a hole in the firewall on the drivers side that is convenient. Looking from the front of the car under the hood, it's just to the left of the clutch and brake master cylinders. It's got a rubber plug in it about the size of a silver dollar that you can slit and run the wire though. It comes out behind and above the pedals. If you have trouble locating it PM me and I can take a pic of mine with 4AWG running though it. It's obvious though.

Put your fuse as close to the battery as possible so as much of the wire is fused as possible.

IIRC the lighter is only on when the ignition is fully on. Taping into the stereo's turn-on wire might be a better option. The head unit is actually very easy to remove to access the wires behind it.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Dash Radio Pinouts..

Hope this will somewhat help. You may be able to extrapolate from this diag. which wires continue to the underseat sub.

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/m.../radiowrx.html

KD's right, I distinctly remember someone posting a diagram for the sub but I can't find it either...

Clavo
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something