Sub install
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Sub install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First things first...i did a search but cant find a thread with a complete description of this. Also the main ...

Sub install

First things first...i did a search but cant find a thread with a complete description of this. Also the main step that i am having trouble with is removing the head unit. I have an 05 wrx and want to use the stock head unit to install one 500watt sub and amp. I have near no electrical knowledge at all, and if someone could help me out with the wiring and everything it would be great (btw there were no instructions with the amp or sub)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you have NO experience with this at all i'd recommend you find a friend who has experience and is willing to help you, or just have this one installed somewhere professionally.
    if you still want to give it a shot yourself, search on nasioc for the wiring diagram of your head unit and you will probably need line out converters in order to tap the amp into them. i have some laying around from when i had my stock hu if you're interested. you should also read up on the manual of the sub/amp. just do your hw first because electrical stuff can get ugly if you do it wrong.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

i just need some advice, i know a friend who did it on his car..his is awesome, its a dodge ram and he mounted a 15" sub under the armrest

I suggest joining http://www.scosche-cars.com/ . The cost is 14.99 for a month access, but it is the best database of panel removal info that I have come accross. There is a TON of car audio info on this site. Some of the info does not match up with the 04-05 models because the newest info they have is for 2003. The good news is that the interior panels have not changed that much.

As far as info on the electronic side check out www.the12volt.com

Hope this helps!

$15 a month? i'm sure its good, but i bet all the info you'll ever need is free online. just use clubwrx.net, nasioc.com, scoobymods.com or general searching and you should be able to find the info you need.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Very true.

Future reference.......the12volt.com is a free site.

Noob offically put in his place.

i talked to someone today, and they said at best buy there were RCA cable outs that could be hooked up to the stock head unit...im gonna ask him more about it tomorow at school, and then go check it out tomorow. Will update you all, because i know your so worried about my life

yeah those are the line out converters i hvae that i was telling you about. i dont know what they are worth but i'll sell them for half of best buy's price plus shipping... mine are just laying around ever since i sold my stock HU. get in touch...
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You honestly don't need to buy a Hi-Lo converter. Most amps have Hi-lever (Speaker) inputs. Just run a pair of wires from behind the radio. If you need, I can post the wire scheme, showing what color wire does what.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

ej20... you certainly know more about it than i do, but when i was researchign all of this i heard that using the converters produced noticeably better sound than just tapping into the speaker wire directly. do you agree/disagree? just curious...
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    In regards to subs, it does not matter. just be sure no to tap into the rear speakers to get your signal, as you often end up with terrible pops and occassional loud booms and buzzes. The reason is that since the line is shared with the speaker, the speaker itself can and will act as a microphone. It's the same woth DJ's, speaking directly into their Headphones and being heard over their stage speakers. To avoid this from happening, get your signal from the front line, as you can ...I'm not saying that you will... end up playing the subs bass, creating an echo and/or low frequency feedback. Whether or not you use a hi-lo converter will not affect this phenomenon from occuring.

In regards to quality, I've always had a higher rate of engine noise, or ground loop feedback, with Hi-lo's, unless I used an expensive one ($60 vs. $20). So, with an OEM radio, and simple Sub/amp combo, no need to spend the extra dough. Save it and buy the next hottie you meet a drink instead.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.