Amp question

This is a discussion on Amp question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have 1 12" solar beric L7 4 ohm and am thinking about buying the best amp that I can ...

Amp question

I have 1 12" solar beric L7 4 ohm and am thinking about buying the best amp that I can afford. What I wanted to know is if it is best to get a amp that runs the EXACT watts as the subs RMS? also does any one know where I can find a GREAT/cheap capacitor because the amp I am planning on buying is a power hog. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

help

a lil help here please

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The L7 is a Dual Voice Coil or DVC woffer. It's a great choice, but must be accompanied by a custom box, and equally impressive amplifier in order to provide you with the results you expect. The question now is whether the amp you have purchased is a 2 or 4ohm per voice coil model, as that will greatly impact your choice of amplifiers, in particularly whether your amp will be a class A/B or D-class amp. Also, the size of your checking account will play a particularly crucial role in deciding what you'll end up purchasing. Answer the above, and I'll be glad to help you out.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

amp

OK the amp I want is "Rockford Fosgate Power 1501BD". Here are the specs...I will be running it at 4 ohm to power my 1 sub

Key Features
    Amplifier Type- Mono Channel

Bass Boost- With Bass Boost

Bridgable- Not Bridgable

Power Output
    RMS Power at 2 Ohms 1500 W x 1

RMS Power at 4 Ohms 750 W x 1

Performance
    Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20000 Hz

Low - Pass Frequency 50 Hz - 250 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 100 dB

Bass Boost Frequency 45 Hz

THD at Rated RMS Power .05 %
    Dimensions
    Width 17.07 in.

Depth 9.85 in.

Height 2.38 in.

Other Features
    Input Voltage 14.4 volt

MOSFET amp Yes

Miscellaneous
    Product ID 20606851

more...

sorry I left out the Solar beric is Dual 4 ohm voic coil

if you have the dual 4 ohm voice coil sub, you can either run it a 2 or 8 ohms, that amp would work, its too much power for that single sub, just lower the gain on it
    03 psm wrx

what amp?

Ok forget what I said about the Fosgate amp. In your opinions, what amp is the best to run only that sub for under $500? and I didnt know you could change the ohm on a sub...I thought it was only the amp that could be changed. (Im not very smart w/ car audio)

if you want to stick with Rockford Fosgate, you could get the 1001BD, i think its one model lower than the one you mentioned, or you can get the MTX Thunder1501D, both of these amps have more power than that sub needs, thats why you have the gain control, i think its better to have a little reservoir power, than to underpower your sub, its just my opinion. but whatever you get, remember to get a mono 2 ohm stable amp
    03 psm wrx

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon
    OK the amp I want is "Rockford Fosgate Power 1501BD". Here are the specs...I will be running it at 4 ohm to power my 1 sub

Key Features
    Amplifier Type- Mono Channel

Bass Boost- With Bass Boost

Bridgable- Not Bridgable

Power Output
    RMS Power at 2 Ohms 1500 W x 1

RMS Power at 4 Ohms 750 W x 1

Performance
    Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20000 Hz

Low - Pass Frequency 50 Hz - 250 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 100 dB

Bass Boost Frequency 45 Hz

THD at Rated RMS Power .05 %
    Dimensions
    Width 17.07 in.

Depth 9.85 in.

Height 2.38 in.

Other Features
    Input Voltage 14.4 volt

MOSFET amp Yes

Miscellaneous
    Product ID 20606851
    The amp you have listed here will be fine for your sub, pending it is 2 ohm stable. But you won't be running it at 4 ohms like you said. It will be 2 or 8 ohms because it is a mono amp and you'll have to have the +/- outputs wired either in series or parallel to your sub. I reccomend parallel (2 ohms) because the way Ohm's Law works, you wind up getting more power to your sub.

FYI, Solobarics are power hogs. I have an S10L5 and I am feeding it from a Clarion 1000W. It can handle the power.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

amp

OK so if I run the amp at 2 ohms do I have to change anything with the sub because it is 4 ohm? The peak power of the sub is 1500 and thats what the amp would put out max at 2 ohm? The thing is...I dont understand the "ohm laws"

1 more thing...

also...will the amps rms at 2 ohms (1500w) be the actual amount being put into the sub? or will it be different because the sub is 4 ohm?

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon
    OK so if I run the amp at 2 ohms do I have to change anything with the sub because it is 4 ohm? The peak power of the sub is 1500 and thats what the amp would put out max at 2 ohm? The thing is...I dont understand the "ohm laws"
    Your sub has 2 voice coils each rated at 4 ohms. When you take one set of +/- wires from the amp and hook them the 2 sets of +/- terminals on your sub, the total impedance of your system becomes 2 ohms. Your amp now has a bigger load on it so it must be able to handle high power output at 2 ohms, which it can. The peak rating on speakers is a measure of how much momentary power a speaker can handle before failure. Even though your amp peaks at 1500W and the solobaric takes 1500, Solobarics are very tough speakers. You should not have an issue. You can also use the amplifier's level control to decrease the dB if the sub sounds distorted.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake