Anyone remove their A/C?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anyone remove their A/C? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; wondering if anyone has removed their factory A/C or power steering?...

Anyone remove their A/C?

wondering if anyone has removed their factory A/C or power steering?
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No, but I'm planning to get rid of the AC "soon" Powersteering is nice to have, even on a rally car... Subscribing to the thread in case some usefull info stick to this thread
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I'm not sure what you're using your car for, but unless you're really going hardcore, I'd venture to say it's probably not worth it. There isn't a whole lot of weight to save, my guess'd be in the neighborhood of 20lbs or less, and it's not really robbing you of much power. If it's not turned on, the AC clutch is disengaged and it's spinning freely on the serpentine belt.

On the 944 board I used to be on, people talked about an AC delete bracked you could buy if you were going to go ahead and do it, which was just a bracket with a free spinning pulley on it that'd let you use stock spec belts. I'm not sure if such a piece exists for us, but it might be worth looking in to.

i just dont like having all that crap in there cuz it takes up so much space in the engine bay making it harder to work on. most of my cars i have either removed the ac cuz it didnt work like my MX6 or it just never had it like my MR2's, 924, RX7
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL
    i just dont like having all that crap in there cuz it takes up so much space in the engine bay making it harder to work on. most of my cars i have either removed the ac cuz it didnt work like my MX6 or it just never had it like my MR2's, 924, RX7
    Removing working ac is a bit different though.. Then again, I'm living in Alabama.

I never use the ac and 20Lbs is alot of weight!! Add that to the spare wheel I have removed + all the tools and you have a much lighter car...

I know you can feel how much better the cars goes with only you in the car.. 1 passanger extra you can feel easily on perfomance..

Removing ac gives perfomance and frees up space in the enginebay.

Anyone have some info on the topic?
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

20 lbs when compared to a 3000 lb car really isnt much.

it wouldnt make a noteable differnce... even 100 lbs probably wouldn't

Check out SCC's article where they totally stripped a Sentra and eventually got the car down to just the engine and the powertrain to see how fast they could make it without any mods.

"a carbon fiber hood is light, No hood is even lighter"
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by amukaoen
    20 lbs when compared to a 3000 lb car really isnt much.

it wouldnt make a noteable differnce... even 100 lbs probably wouldn't

Check out SCC's article where they totally stripped a Sentra and eventually got the car down to just the engine and the powertrain to see how fast they could make it without any mods.

"a carbon fiber hood is light, No hood is even lighter"
    Do you mean you cannot feel the diffrence in performance when you have 1 or 2 passangers in your car? I can easily feel one extra person in my car.

Dry weight of my car is less than 3000lbs and with all tha junk I have got rid of (like spare wheel) it's even lighter.. The AC is completly worthless for me. I never use it, it weights alot (pump, wireing, belt, piping, and the cooler (big radiator thingy) )
    Where can I loose wheight if I can even get rid of something useless?

I need a hood, I don't need the AC. Please lets get back on subject..
    Anyone have some info about how to get rid of the ac? and downsides besides that you don't have a ac...
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I would not remove working a/c. The reason i pulled it out of my MX6 is because it went bad and wasnt worth my time or money to fix. Once the A/C in the WRX starts to cost me money (and isnt warrantied) and my wife is no longer driving it I will yank it immediately. If there was some kind of manual rack that would work in place of the power rack I would yank that too.

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

Quote Originally Posted by Roffa
    Do you mean you cannot feel the diffrence in performance when you have 1 or 2 passangers in your car? I can easily feel one extra person in my car.
    I said 100 lbs probably wouldnt make that big of a differnce, not 300 lbs. unless you're passangers are 10 years old they'd weigh more then 100 each.

anyways.

If you really want to remove it, go for it. Id talk to "stealth_wrx" over on nasioc. He's a really nice guy and has his WRX modded to hell and back (450 awhp) If anyone's taken out their AC, he'd be my first guess.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by amukaoen
    I said 100 lbs probably wouldnt make that big of a differnce, not 300 lbs. unless you're passangers are 10 years old they'd weigh more then 100 each.

anyways.

If you really want to remove it, go for it. Id talk to "stealth_wrx" over on nasioc. He's a really nice guy and has his WRX modded to hell and back (450 awhp) If anyone's taken out their AC, he'd be my first guess.
    Well i guess my friends weight about 130lbs on average.. I don't drive agressive with more than one passanger. I definatly feel it makes the car slower, more dangerous to take highspeed turns (espessially with people in the back) and makes it difficult to fight with my friends cars and harder to drift on gravel

I'll check on nasoic, I have alot of questions I need to ask there now
    Last edited by Roffa; 01-24-2005 at 01:09 AM.
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I removed my A/C. One its dead weight to me. Two, if I want to use A/C I'll drive one of my other cars if its that hot. Three, my WRX is not intended to be a every day street car.
    FS: 02 WRX with JDM V7 RA-C

The AC is gone in my car, had to make room for the IHI VF22 and its other stuff.
    Midwest Auto Salon
    Apple Valley, MN

My Stage IV WRX was totalled by a drunk driver. Fcuk him!

How did you remove it?
    You got a new belt, oem subaru? you removed the pump, cooling and piping?
    Did you have any problem with the rest of the climatecontrol functions?
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Quote Originally Posted by J o H n N i
    The AC is gone in my car, had to make room for the IHI VF22 and its other stuff.
    Why did you need to make room for a VF22?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roffa
    How did you remove it?
    You got a new belt, oem subaru? you removed the pump, cooling and piping?
    Did you have any problem with the rest of the climatecontrol functions?
    I'm just speculating, but since A/C is standard on pretty much everything here you might need to get a belt for a JDM Spec C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast