Anyone remove their A/C? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Anyone remove their A/C? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Personally I think the best reason to remove it is to flip the intake manifold and reduce the length of ...

Personally I think the best reason to remove it is to flip the intake manifold and reduce the length of the intake tract. And the engine bay looks so much better without all the clutter. Although I do like my A/C when the windows are fogged up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know this thread is about removing the AC, but here's an interesting idea that saved me 17 lbs. in the engine bay. Replace your stock battery (31 lb) with a Genesis racing battery (14 lbs). Mine has performed flawlessly through two nasty New England winters.

Or remove the AC and get the lightweight battery as well!

PS
    If you leave your windshield washer level at the bottom curve of the plastic tank you can save an additional 7 lbs and still be able to clean your windshield fifteen or twenty times!
    Last edited by Geekqualizer; 01-24-2005 at 02:36 PM.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

Quote Originally Posted by zoinks
    Personally I think the best reason to remove it is to flip the intake manifold and reduce the length of the intake tract. And the engine bay looks so much better without all the clutter. Although I do like my A/C when the windows are fogged up.
    Got a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Geekqualizer
    I know this thread is about removing the AC, but here's an interesting idea that saved me 17 lbs. in the engine bay. Replace your stock battery (31 lb) with a Genesis racing battery (14 lbs). Mine has performed flawlessly through two nasty New England winters.

Or remove the AC and get the lightweight battery as well!

PS
    If you leave your windshield washer level at the bottom curve of the plastic tank you can save an additional 7 lbs and still be able to clean your windshield fifteen or twenty times!
    Lighter battery - done
    Remove junk - done
    Remove jack and spare wheel - done
    Remove oem tools - done (replaced with leatherman)
    Remove unwanted passangers - done
    Replace heavy girlfriend with lighter one - done
    Remove AC - under progress
    Flipping intake - when I get my new engine (1 year + from now )

Removing back seats -- hmm.. No I still need them, I'll remove them when I get a new dailydriver and fit a rollcage..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Well, if you want to go a step or two further you can remove your towing hooks (in the back) and your glove compartment counterweight for another 5 lbs.

If no one EVER rides in the back seat you can remove all three seat belt assemblies for 8 lbs more! I weighed my rear seats which I put back and they are good for 28 lbs with bolts. This really changed the road noise inside the car.

Weight is indeed the enemy of speed. In the SCC experiment alluded to above they were gaining roughly a tenth of a second in the quarter for every 75 lbs removed.
    Last edited by Geekqualizer; 01-25-2005 at 09:03 AM.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Geekqualizer
    Weight is indeed the enemy of speed. In the SCC experiment alluded to above they were gaining roughly a tenth of a second in the quarter for every 75 lbs removed.
    Yes, but not just speed.. But also overall handling gets better.. Faster turns, better grip, less stress on bushings and suspension parts.. Less stress on engine and driveline parts..

Loosing wheigh even if it's just a few lbs will give better performance, but not without sacrifising comfort. The key is to find the golden midle way between comfort and performance. Personally I want more performance and less comfort, but still the car need to be functional so I can't remove the back seats (yet)
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Quote Originally Posted by qoncept
    Got a pic?
    I just found these one on Nasioc...this car looks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails var09.jpg   var08.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Roffa
    Yes, but not just speed.. But also overall handling gets better.. Faster turns, better grip, less stress on bushings and suspension parts.. Less stress on engine and driveline parts..

Loosing wheigh even if it's just a few lbs will give better performance, but not without sacrifising comfort. The key is to find the golden midle way between comfort and performance. Personally I want more performance and less comfort, but still the car need to be functional so I can't remove the back seats (yet)
    Its true, weight is speed's arch enemy
    I think the PERFECT car for you... is a Lotus Elise. (with the AC removed of course)
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by amukaoen
    Its true, weight is speed's arch enemy
    I think the PERFECT car for you... is a Lotus Elise. (with the AC removed of course)
    Not enough power, not awd. Nice little fun car, but still not what I need..
    I fear the elise don't handle that well on my snow and gravel weekend rally
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Roffa
    Not enough power, not awd. Nice little fun car, but still not what I need..
    I fear the elise don't handle that well on my snow and gravel weekend rally
    its the celica GT-S engine if im not mistaken. so there are loads of mods for it, not that you'd really need it since it doesnt even weigh 2,000 lbs
    I think it runs like 13.3 ~ 13.6 quarter mile times, so its plenty quick

and you can always convert it to AWD :O think of how beast that car would be...

it'd look amazing, (its a Lotus!)
    have AWD
    and be fast as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Better to throw out everything you don't need from the wrx and it will have the same wheigt...
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

can someone who has removed the A/C provide a write-up or details on how it went

I have no writeup, but I have removed the AC for about 4 months ago.
    It's easy open the hood.
    remove the radiator, alternator and ac compressor, drain the ac pipes (needs spesial tools to be done right (good for enviroment and health))
    There is a draining valve on the pipe.

After the pipes are empty you just have to unbolt the ac cooler, pump and all the piping.
    I have just plugged the holes that goes into the cabin. I'll see if I can remove the rest later when I take out the dash for some mods.

I have been driving for some time now without it. And it's ok. I never used it anyway so I did'nt notise any big problems. It feel like the car was moving alitt quicker, but it's probatly just in my head. But then again I have removed many punds of dead weight so there should be a small diffrence in performance. I also felt like the rpms came faster up and down.. Probatly since we have removed one belt and the engine has on wheel less to spin.

Heat is not much problem, on a warm summer day I just use the windows.
    Heater works nicely even on auto.
    Fog is normally no problem, but on rainy cold days it will fog alittle, but then you just use heater and maybe slighly open a window it it get really bad.
    For me I don't feel that fog or heat is a problem.
    If you don't use the ac more than a few times every year you can live without it..

The mod is recomended for the serious racer, not for the average impreza driver. You will loose some weight and gain slight better performance (probatly not much but still) I feelt it, but did I feel it or did I want to feel it ..

I did this to get more free space, loose some weight where I can and because I want a rotated intake.
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12