upgraded speakers, no amp?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on upgraded speakers, no amp? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently added a new Alpine deck to my car, and it carries the standard 50x4 internal amp. From the ...

upgraded speakers, no amp?

I recently added a new Alpine deck to my car, and it carries the standard 50x4 internal amp. From the last car, I've got some nice Boston speakers (FS60 front, RX47 rear) that I'd like to add to the car, but I don't want to mess with the amps yet.

Will the speakers sound any better than the stock (non-upgraded) ones on the Alpine internal amp? Will they even work? Boston says that the FS60s take 15-150 watts, and the RX47s take 12-120 watts.

If I go that route, will I end up just unplugging the stockers and plugging the Bostons in? I know the front has the X-over, but beside that.

Also, will the FS60 fit without moving the window rail? I've got the mounting brackets from the old car, but I don't know what they had to do to make it work.
    Last edited by houdini; 01-11-2005 at 10:42 PM. Reason: oops, forgot something

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off, what size are the bostons? Front/rear sizes. 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" will fit up front while only 5-1/4" will fit in the rear. More than likely your old brackets won't work with the door panels and new ones will have to be bought/made. IA performance makes a great set of spacers. You can email them with the mounting depth for the bostons and they'll tell you if it will work.

Also, the frpnt speakers dont have a crossover...the tweeter just has a filter capacitor.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

6.5" up front, 4" in back.

Why wouldn't the brackets work? They're from the last car (a '04 WRX Sedan) I had these speakers in.

Oh, I didn't know the brackets were from a WRX. So then 4" would work in the rear as well.

The rear should have no clearance problem. Only thing to worry about on the front is the plastic tab on the backside of the window. Easiest thing to do would be to take off passenger side front door panel (~4 min), undo the speaker and bracket (~2min) and install your new speaker and bracket (~2min). Then see if the window will roll down all the way. Remember to use short taps of the down button do if anything does rub, it will not break. If the speaker does rub on the tab, it can be shaved off.

Anything would be better than the stock paper cone speakers IMO.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

stock speakers are really low quality. anything sounds better. take it from me. I have sony xplods. (pause for laughter)

but i know they suck, so no need to make fun.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted scoob
    The rear should have no clearance problem. Only thing to worry about on the front is the plastic tab on the backside of the window. Easiest thing to do would be to take off passenger side front door panel (~4 min), undo the speaker and bracket (~2min) and install your new speaker and bracket (~2min). Then see if the window will roll down all the way. Remember to use short taps of the down button do if anything does rub, it will not break. If the speaker does rub on the tab, it can be shaved off.
    Right, see, I know that it can be done (these were in my old WRX). The question is, does anyone know if it will need to be done? I don't want to spend the time ripping my door open and stuff only to find out I need to take it to a shop (which I will if the window rail needs work).
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I don't know how oftten I've replied to this exact same topic.

The best location/option for aftermarket speakers is to mount directly against the door panel, aka the plastic, not the door itself. You need to seal the speaker with a little foam and then dynamat to create a seal. Use the grill/mount to create a space between the door and speaker to prevent the cone from rubbing against the door panel and then, once it's alll done, re-install the panel and see if it rubs against the window. Either way, even if you end up taking it to a shop, you'll have saved a lot of money by doing this part yourself, rather than paying someone (like me) to do it.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    I don't know how oftten I've replied to this exact same topic.
    Sorry. I haven't seen any of them

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    The best location/option for aftermarket speakers is to mount directly against the door panel, aka the plastic, not the door itself. You need to seal the speaker with a little foam and then dynamat to create a seal. Use the grill/mount to create a space between the door and speaker to prevent the cone from rubbing against the door panel and then, once it's alll done, re-install the panel and see if it rubs against the window. Either way, even if you end up taking it to a shop, you'll have saved a lot of money by doing this part yourself, rather than paying someone (like me) to do it.
    Ok, now, I know you've installed this speaker into this door

I need a diagram or something to get that. Mount the speaker into the door panel where the stock speaker went, and seal it in with some foam or something?
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The speaker is mounted directly against the back of the panel, then sealed. once accomplished, the panel is placed back onto the door to see if the window rail will need to be spaced out.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.