Adding Options

This is a discussion on Adding Options within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently purchased an '02 WRX with basically no options. It seems like if I want the armrest extension or ...

Ric

Question Adding Options

I recently purchased an '02 WRX with basically no options. It seems like if I want the armrest extension or the filtration kit, all I really have to do is buy the parts and pop them in. Is it really this easy, or is some special modification required since a stripped car doesn't come equipped to install these options?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

easy

I don't know about the air filter, but my guess is that you are quite right. And as for the armrest extension, you are definitely correct. Buy the part, install yourself, is a piece of cake. Also, for what it's worth, my dealer was telling me you could find the armrest extension on ebay for less than the dealer was selling it. I didn't have the patience for ebay, so i bought it from the dealer (and had them install), but just FYI I guess they're on ebay for $10 less or so.
    Blue '02 Wagon, factory short-throw & boost gauge...more to come...

Ric
    Thanks, WW... I actually ordered the Armrest Extension online. From looking at the installation instructions for the airfilter on www.subaruparts.com, it seems like every car has the little slot for the air filter, and the only thing that's really missing is the element (and the little stickers that say the car has an air filtration system). These come with the kit. I suppose I should pull my glove compartment out and make sure that there really is a spot for an air filtration element, was just hoping someone here might know!

The "Air Filtration System" is really just a $30 filter. It took me about twenty minutes to put in (you have to remove the glove compartment to get at it), but when I change it in the future, it'll probably only take half that now that I know what I'm doing.

I just got my WRX two weeks ago, so that's the only option I've added so far, but I've looked into a number of others, and they don't seem too bad, either. Mine came with the armrest extension, but it really looks like that was a simple part, too. The extended version has a double compartment, and it looks like they just replaced the lid on the stock one with a new part that has a second compartment in it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

The rear differential protector looks like it'll be a joke to install when I get around to it. Just crawl under the back and bolt it on.

The different shift knobs look almost as straightforward.

The boost gauge and the electrochromatic mirror look like they'll be slightly more intensive, since there are some electrical connections that will have to be made, but neither one looks like it'll take more than an hour.

On the other hand, if you're going for something like the short throw shifter, that one looks like it's a fairly serious undertaking to install. Not too major, but it could easily be an afternoon (or even a whole day) killer. The carbon fiber parking brake handle looks like it could be a bit of work as well.

Mine also came with carbon fiber trim, so I can't tell you how easy/hard that is to put in.

Upgrading your stereo system could be a bit of work, depending on how much you do. I'm planning on adding some aftermarket speakers in the not too distant future (after my bank account recovers from the massive down payment I made), which will probably require at least a bit more work than the OEM "premium" speakers - but I had a chance to listen to these at the local dealer, and while they were better than the stock speakers, they still sucked, so I refuse to spend any money on them. Changing the head unit shouldn't be any harder than changing the head unit on any other vehicle, which is pretty straightforward. You'll probably need to buy an adapter kit to fit your head unit into the slot in the dash, though, especially since it's a much larger than usual opening due to the six disc changer. You'll also need to buy an electrical adapter to convert from whatever your new head unit uses into the standard Subaru connector, unless you want to splice all the wires yourself, which I would reccommend against since the adapters are usually so cheap.

Hope this helps some.
    Russell Newquist
    http://www.russellnewquist.net/

Kartboy Shifter Bushings (front)
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    Samco Radiator Hoses
    Samco Ancillary Hoses
    Perrin Lighweight Crankshaft Pulley
    Dynamatted Doors & Trunk
    Hawk HPS Brake Pads
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires

nice reply jedi!

Originally posted by Osiris
    nice reply jedi!
    Thanks. I haven't actually done much of this stuff yet, but I spent a *LOT* of time researching this car before I bought it. Of course, I'd made up my mind to get it long before then, and was just waiting until I got together the down payment I wanted (which was pretty substantial).

Boy did I ever make the right decision.
    Russell Newquist
    http://www.russellnewquist.net/

Kartboy Shifter Bushings (front)
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    Samco Radiator Hoses
    Samco Ancillary Hoses
    Perrin Lighweight Crankshaft Pulley
    Dynamatted Doors & Trunk
    Hawk HPS Brake Pads
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires

Ric
    Thanks for the info... Since posting this originally, I've added the Armrest Extension, Air Filtration System and Security System Upgrade myself. I'd really like to do the Auto-Dimming Mirror, but I'm a little bit reluctant. I suspect that upon removal of the maplights, the harness for the mirror will be present, but I'm not sure how difficult it will be to remove the old mirror or to mount the new one. Has anyone done this themself and how difficult was it?

- Ric

I Support ClubWRX
    The stereo head unit is really simple. It's a double-DIN size, so any double-DIN unit will slide right in - no adapter needed.

For a single DIN, same thing, no adapter, and you can get a DIN sized pocket from Subaru to fill the other hole. Like $15 IIRC from www.subaruparts.com.

OR if you have the optional gauge pack, you can fit them into the hole as they are DIN sized, then adapt your hood for another set of gauges.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

if you decide to add the rear diff protector.....be careful with the after market exhaust you choose. Many dont fit with the diff protector.
    If you just want the diff protector, or it is compatible with your exhaust. PM me....i ahve a brand new (almost) one i would consider selling fairly cheap!!!
    DML

tan
    cabin air filter install instructions

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Instructions