Chipmunk Interior Noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Chipmunk Interior Noise within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, so this is really starting to piss me off now... I've driven a Honda for the past 5 years ...

Chipmunk Interior Noise

OK, so this is really starting to piss me off now... I've driven a Honda for the past 5 years and sold it with 150K on it with less interior noise than my '05 WRX.

Anyway... Besides the clutch squeaking... There is a really annoying squeak that isn't all that loud. It's not the seat belt squeak and I don't think the rear suspension bushings either. The car only makes it while driving and, to the best of describing it - it sounds kind of like a chipmunk. If I'm on a choppy road it's more prevalent... I popped the hood tonight when I got home and if I rev up the engine from the throttle body a bit when it's winding down I can hear it every so often... Any ideas where to start looking??? I was going to jack it up and start looking for it that way but the car is plastered in salt from the recent snow...

Just looking for some ideas. It's one of those noises that you can't tell what f'in direction it's coming from. I had this problem once in a SHO I had in high school and after 50 people told me it was the rear strut bushing and $200+ worth of rear suspension parts later I found it was a loose bolt on the rear seat. Pfft... This is not the type of thing new car owners want to deal with...

End rant - the car rocks otherwise. Any insight is much appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i get a noise like that too only on stone roads tho, my celica made the same noise on really bumpy roads but it wasn't as bad as my WRX. Turn the radio up is all the advice i can give
    www.kiowapilots.com

Take it to the dealership, make them figure out the problem? That's why they have a service department, right?

I think I have the same sound. For me, it's the arm/disarm button on the cruise control lever on the right side of the steering wheel. I can make the sound if I hit the steering wheel lightly and even moderately bumpy driving or just highway cruising makes the noise. It's very annoying, but I just turn the stereo up sometimes I figure it's not a big enough problem for me to bring it to the dealership now. If I have a bigger problem in the future, I'll mention this one. Perhaps I can wedge a thin piece of cardboard or construction paper in there in the meantime to curb the chipmunk.

I also have another rattle that comes from the glovebox area. It's possible that the noise is in the passenger door. I know that my glovebox doesn't fit perfectly right. Sometimes I can make the noise go away by pressing on the glovebox door, but sometimes the noise continues even if I am pressing on it. If it's not the glovebox, it could just be something inside that is rattling a little bit, but I don't think so. It also sounds like it might be wires in the door rattling against the door panel. I don't know, but that one is also annoying.

That's the end of my annoying noises... for now.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by houdini
    Take it to the dealership, make them figure out the problem? That's why they have a service department, right?
    nuff said
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

I had the worst squeek/rattle ever and I finally figured it out last week. It is the two wires on the mirror/compass, they vibrate creating a squeek/rattle... just tape them together or spread them apart and it will stop. I always thought it was coming from the glove compartment area.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Try using felt tape. One side is felt covered, the other sticky...hence it's name. We use it on show and competition vehicle on about every part that is removed, as well as any and all wires in the door. BMW, MBZ, and other high end car makers use the same method to rid their cars of sqeaks and rattles. I'd be pretty pissed if I had laid down a 100K and my car rattled.

I sympathize with your frustration though. Subaru's are one of the more expensive vehicles in the import scene, and I myself have done much to not only make the car feel solid, but sound solid as well. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

So did you find the chipmunk yet?
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

By chance..is your girlfriend in the car when this annoying chipmunk sound is coming from all directions?

EJ20-thats a great idea. might have to start doing that.

these cars are just loud to begin with though. sucks to say but they arent made for a luxury cruise. theyre made to beat the hell out of one way or another.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

I have a buzzing sound that I think is coming from the driverside mirror. Im pretty sure its there b/c I can only hear it when I put the window down. Any one had this problem and solved it? It is annoying now. It sounds like a fly is stuck behind the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by houdini

I had a rattle, tried this and guess what, they didn't hear it. I gave up on them after that, which I suspect is their goal. Frustrate someone until they give up. Of course they don't accuse me of it not being there, they just say it wasn't present on their test drive. If it gets worse, I should see them again. I'm sure it'd "disappear" for their test drive. Also have the glovebox rattle, will be putting on some weatherstripping when it warms up. When I press on the box, the sound always goes away. When the glovebox rattle is gone, it's easier to hear the door ratttles .

Edit: Where can I get felt tape? Thanks.
    Last edited by herger; 02-14-2005 at 08:38 PM.

take it to the dealer....you dont pay 25g+ for a car not 2 get serviced
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.