connector on rear of MY02 stock in-dash 6-cd...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on connector on rear of MY02 stock in-dash 6-cd... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; THis is the connector in the lower left corner of the unit (looking at the back). It looks like two ...

connector on rear of MY02 stock in-dash 6-cd...

THis is the connector in the lower left corner of the unit (looking at the back). It looks like two horizontal rows of 8 pins. anyone know what this is for?

I vaguely recall someone mentioning that it was used to attach an additional cd changer to the unit. I know people used the din plug in the MY05 forester as an auxiliary input... does anyone have the pinout for this connector so we can see if something similar is possible?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well... here's the status update. The 16 pin connector on the back of the stock matsu****a 6-cd in dash changer is indeed a connector for an additional cd changer. The input pins are all there, however the unit must somehow be tricked into thinking that a cd changer is attached to switch over to these inputs.
    "MidlifeCrisis", the main contributor to this thread:
    http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...wtopic&t=11218
    suspects that the inputs are run through an audio IC where an internal switched gate controls which audio signal gets passed through. He suspects, and I agree, that if we can somehow emulate the control signal (maybe with a simple PIC), then we should be able to get the unit switch over to the external input.

If anyone else has any information about the bus protocol, please post here. I put in a request through a friend at Panasonic (subsidiary of matsu****a) to try and dig up the bus protocol... so we'll see if that pans out. In the meantime, here is the information that "MidlifeCrisis" originally posted from the service manual:

still working on this.
    Got the full service manual/schematic. It's definitely going to be tricky.

The BUS.LINE breaks down to CD-CH.IN and CD-CH.OUT, which refers to the serial I/O lines going into the CPU in the main block. The CPU then sends data along a control line to the Electronic Volume Control, which switches between either the internal source line (AM/FM, tape, cd) and the external source line (the one we want to be able to use). The output from that IC then heads over to the power amp stage... and the rest is music :-P

I've dug up an old thread on nasioc where somebody mentioned that they were able to get an external cd changer that was meant for a legacy (not sure of the year) to work with the wrx deck (although apparently the internal unit was disabled while connected). If i can get my hands on this or a similar changer, I may be able to capture the contents of the data line and then emulate it to make an aux input available.

THe other (better) option would be to find the actual spec for the CPU control line. The only info I have on the CPU is:
    Part No: C2BBGF000085
    If we could figure out what data it is expecting, we could again emulate this data and switch over to the external input.

bump. any updates? anyone figure out how to connect an aux input to an 02 WRX HU?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.