Whats the best short shifter ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Whats the best short shifter ? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was just wondering what the best one for a 05 wrx was for the car before i buy one ...

Whats the best short shifter ?

I was just wondering what the best one for a 05 wrx was for the car before i buy one .
    Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just installed my Kartboy s/s a couple of days ago. I love it. I had gotten a package that comes with both the s/s and Kartboy shifter bushings. It's awesome, I highly recommend it.

gfx
    The kartboy is great but IMO the best is the STI short shifter package. Easy shifts and pretty short throw.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gfxwrx

My car shots taken with my Canon 300D dSLR

STI SS has harder bushings than the stock wrx. I would reccomend the STi SS with kb bushings first, then kb with kb bushings second.

Tom @ Kartboy is awesome if you have any questions. Easily the best vendor I've ever dealt with. I was very happy with him and I hate just about everything. .

They're all the same, IMO. Just pick one that reduces by a %age you like. The Perrin knuckle sucks though.

STi.....
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    I've never used an STi short-throw. I bought a Kartboy with bushings. Very easy install, and I love it. Good price on it too!
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I got a B&M style knockoff on Ebay. No problems with it and it holds up well to hard shifts. Best $30 I ever spent on my car so far.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Quote Originally Posted by qoncept
    They're all the same, IMO. Just pick one that reduces by a %age you like. The Perrin knuckle sucks though.
    I like my Perrin knuckle just fine thank you
    How do I shot web?

Quote Originally Posted by Bozeman
    I was just wondering what the best one for a 05 wrx was for the car before i buy one .
    Thx
    Whatever you do don't buy the B&M ss. Mine keeps popping the bottom snap ring off making it very difficult to shift into 1st and 3rd. I after driving without the ring for so long I think I damanged the shifter linkage. oh well get KB. I alwayed wondered if the STI ss was worth the 300 for it.

I've had the perrin and the STi short shifter. In the end the favorite combination that I found that I liked was the stock shifter with kb's bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat_Drinks
    I like my Perrin knuckle just fine thank you
    S'pose it's a matter of taste. The friend I gave mine to likes it just fine. I definately prefer my kartboy though.

I just got the TWM for X-Mas and that went in the next day and it's a world of difference. Definately gave the car a tuner feel. Just deciding on whether or not to replace the shifter boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix 1193
    Whatever you do don't buy the B&M ss. Mine keeps popping the bottom snap ring off making it very difficult to shift into 1st and 3rd. I after driving without the ring for so long I think I damanged the shifter linkage. oh well get KB. I alwayed wondered if the STI ss was worth the 300 for it.
    Like I said I have a B&M designed shifter. I have had no problems with it, but I too had a problem with it popping out of the shifter cradle (the plastic cup with the snap ring on it). As it turns out, the problerm had nothing to do with the design of the shifter. It was my error in not making sure the snap ring was seated all the way in the groove, so it popped out. Now that it's fixed, the shifter is very smooth. It's an all-metal design which features spherical bearings instead of a bushing, and for $30, that's a good deal.
    Last edited by boosted scoob; 01-06-2005 at 05:56 PM.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Quote Originally Posted by boosted scoob
    Like I said I have a B&M designed shifter. I have had no problems with it, but I too had a problem with it popping out of the shifter cradle (the plastic cup with the snap ring on it). As it turns out, the problerm had nothing to do with the design of the shifter. It was my error in not making sure the snap ring was seated all the way in the groove, so it popped out. Now that it's fixed, the shifter is very smooth. It's an all-metal design which features spherical bearings instead of a bushing, and for $30, that's a good deal.

There are actually two grooves, one for the snap ring and one for an O-ring, I have put both on according to parts diagram, had a subaru service tech put it on and i finally put it on in a variety of combinations of grooves and rings and they all pop off, its a POS. And another thing, its a cylinderical bushing that fits the stock piece, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast