Whats the best short shifter ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Whats the best short shifter ? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Matrix 1193 There are actually two grooves, one for the snap ring and one for an O-ring, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix 1193
    There are actually two grooves, one for the snap ring and one for an O-ring, I have put both on according to parts diagram, had a subaru service tech put it on and i finally put it on in a variety of combinations of grooves and rings and they all pop off, its a POS. And another thing, its a cylinderical bushing that fits the stock piece, no?
    Yes, you are right...it would be more like a cylindrical bushing. I just like the fact that it has ball bearings and it's an all-metal design. Allot more sturdy.

Getting to the design issue, if the snap ring and o-ring are not seating on the plastic cup correctly, make sure the shifter ball is forced down in the cup when attempting to replace the rings. I didn't do this the first time and the ring wasn't seated right. The cup likes to go upward so it must be forced down. It may take 2 people (one in the car pushing down on the shifter and one underneath replacing the snap ring. I also had to use 45 degree snap ring pliers to get around the exhaust. Then just have the person inside do a few hard shifts and inspect the seating of the ring.

After my ring popped off the first time, I had to replace the plastic cup becuase it chiseled off some of the plastic in the process - enough to make it pop off again had it been seated right. That may have been your problem the second time around. The grooves the rings fit into are not very deep. I don't think the plastic cup/snap ring design is very smart by Subaru anyhow.

As for my experience with the shifter, I have a B&M ripper shifter in my Mustang and it is also very good quality. I have taken both though hard shifts time and again and they always feels rock solid.
    Last edited by boosted scoob; 01-07-2005 at 10:01 AM.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

STI short shifter for the WRX installed by dealer comes with harder bushings? Is that why it looks more complex in photos, i.e. not just a stick?
    2004 WRX Sedan (SRR...Premium) SOLD

2012 WRX Plasma Blue 5-door

"Dude, the Chinaman is not the issue here. We're talking about unchecked agression here."

Quote Originally Posted by iMP|2EZiONS
    I just installed my Kartboy s/s a couple of days ago. I love it. I had gotten a package that comes with both the s/s and Kartboy shifter bushings. It's awesome, I highly recommend it.
    2nd that- have the same set up on my 04
    "Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
    -The replacement for displacement is technology-
    "Never drive faster then your Guardian Angel can follow" -well b1tch, you better start catching up

Hahaha, wow this thread is kinda old huh? Well anyways, 2 months later and I'm still loving the Kartboy Short Shifter with the Kartboy Bushings. I still recommend it!
    2005 CGM STi

Anyone have experience with the Cobb short shifter?

i had the STI ss installed by the dealer, because i wanted it, and at first i was like, WTF is wrong with this shifter?? the ss makes it all stiff and short and more notchy. i still think its one of the best mods you can do.

i have this whine in 3rd and 5th gear that is pretty annoying, but i have learned to drone it out. the dealer says its the turbo spooling, but there is NO way that its the turbo...

i got the STI s/s from the factory....its real solid...kinda clunky durin d/d but smooth during fast and hard shifts
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Post removed until vendor status is cleared.

-WRC
    Last edited by WRC_Obsessed; 04-04-2005 at 03:50 PM.

los
    I'm getting the Kartboy installed on Weds. I'll post my thoughts then.
    05 Aspen White WRX -- Win or Lose, Lakers for Life!

los

Thumbs up

It's better than stock, nice and fun because of the short throw. Very crisp shifts.
    05 Aspen White WRX -- Win or Lose, Lakers for Life!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12