Problem with shifting

This is a discussion on Problem with shifting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I have noticed lately during these cold winter ...

Problem with shifting

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I have noticed lately during these cold winter mornings. ill let my car warm up for 4-6 mins in this 20degreesF weather.

The problem is when I start moving I notice its really hard to get through the gears. While moving 1st-2nd it takes me a few good tries to get the shifter to move into 2nd. Sometimes I come almost to a complete stop trying to get it into 2nd. I noticed its only hard to shift those first few shifts until my car has been on for about 12 -15 mins thats when things start becomming liquid again. Does this happen to anybody else? my car is fairly new I got it this year. 04 7200 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by highwaymrdr
    Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I have noticed lately during these cold winter mornings. ill let my car warm up for 4-6 mins in this 20degreesF weather.

The problem is when I start moving I notice its really hard to get through the gears. While moving 1st-2nd it takes me a few good tries to get the shifter to move into 2nd. Sometimes I come almost to a complete stop trying to get it into 2nd. I noticed its only hard to shift those first few shifts until my car has been on for about 12 -15 mins thats when things start becomming liquid again. Does this happen to anybody else? my car is fairly new I got it this year. 04 7200 miles
    Perfectly normal. Your gear oil is like molasses on the synchros when it's that cold.

uhh... 4-6min warm up =oil pump shaft breakage@ 20degrees, at those temps you need to let your car run for a good 10-15 min before you go takin off, your car probably hates you and like trainrex said you're trans fluid is like frozen honey when its that cold
    Aspen white/gold 03 sedan *SOLD*
    Aspen white/gold 06 STi STG2 Bailey ProTuned

Thanks for the help guys, i will start letting it idle more in these conditions

Quote Originally Posted by highwaymrdr
    Thanks for the help guys, i will start letting it idle more in these conditions

Me too, I knew it was the gear transmission not being warmed up, but I didnt know I could damage the tranny
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Registered User Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
    While I don't disagree with anything posted on this thread to date, I often start my STi in the -10 range. It is a little sticky in the gear box, but if you are gentle it does not seem to be a problem. I have had the standard STi, WRX, RS2.5 progression over the last 5-6 years or so. I have started them at -35 and never really had a problem. Just understand the car is cold - and be sensitive to that fact.
    Fun is where you make it.

When it's "cold" here in Oregon I have the same "problem" The stock lube apparently doesn't like cold. I'm almost out of warranty and am seriously thinking about switching to a synthetic.

You're not going to break anything, and letting your car idle isn't going to warm your gear oil up. Idling your car to warm it up is the worst way to do it because it doesn't warm your gear oil up, so if you go push the car you're still on cold gear oil.

ClubWRX.net Vendor JnJassociates's Avatar
    Just a suggestion:

One of the best ways to get your drivetrain up to temp. is to drive the car gently for the first 3 -5 miles. An extended warm up will only bring temps up for the engine. Doing nothing for the gearbox and differentials. Stay out of boost and drive the car gentle for the first few miles.

one of my sugesstions would be is to move to Arizona, because in phoenix the temp rarely goes lower than 25 degrees and thats in december only. I love my Arozona. problem sloved!

Quote Originally Posted by kessler89
    uhh... 4-6min warm up =oil pump shaft breakage@ 20degrees, at those temps you need to let your car run for a good 10-15 min before you go takin off, your car probably hates you and like trainrex said you're trans fluid is like frozen honey when its that cold
    How did you come to this conclusion?

I assume thats two different statements about oil pump and tranny, but how do you think oil pump shafts will break at 20 deg?