Question on installing a Sub?

This is a discussion on Question on installing a Sub? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am wondering what is the best way to add a Sub/Amp in to my car without changing the OE ...

Question on installing a Sub?

I am wondering what is the best way to add a Sub/Amp in to my car without changing the OE Head unit? I have the factory Sub/amp under the seat but it is not quite thrilling enough for me anymore.. I have allways had systems in my cars and i am feeling the sound mod bug starting to nipp at me

I am thinking of running a Pioneer Premier SPL 10 in a sealed box and whatever amp i can get my hands on. I figure it is a great sub and sould suffice for my needs. I have 2 12" Pioneer Premier's in my Monte Carlo and they Pound very well, so i am sold on the speaker, and being a Wgn i don't think i need a big system to get alot of sound. I have used high level converters before (HATE THEM), is there another way?

What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Many Mono (sub) amps have speaker-level inputs so you can tap off your back speaker signals. A bunch of people have gone this route, search around I'm sure you'll find what you need.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

i figured that might be the way in need to go. I will most likely go with a HI-Low level converter and do it that route. the amp i am going to get i don't believe has high level inputs...

Thanks,
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by 04blkWRX
    Many Mono (sub) amps have speaker-level inputs so you can tap off your back speaker signals. A bunch of people have gone this route, search around I'm sure you'll find what you need.
    the speaker level inputs you speak of are high low converters which he hates, but apparently your goin to go that route. they have external converters if your amp does not have a high low. either way your goin to have to use the speaker wires
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Since you'll be using the OEM radio, make sure that the amp you're purchasing is not overly sensitive on the input. You're radio will not make a lot of power, or voltage if you're converting to RCA's. This means that some amps will require a line-driver, or they'll put out only a minimal amount of power. Be sure to do some research before buying an amp. Let me know if you need help.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

as far as i know these subs still deliver clean tight bass from a ported enclosure, wich is recommended by pioneer. These puppies will sound nice in yer wagon. I would highly recommend using a line level converter that can be adjusted, tap it from the rears At the b-pillars and run em back. youll want some quality rca's and run em on the opposite side from 12v and remote to prevent any engine whine. as far as the amp goes youll need a mono block capable of oh say 500 watts rms @ 2ohms.