Question for all those with subs ? ? ?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question for all those with subs ? ? ? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK I have a 2005 STi. I already have an eclipe AVN 2454 Navigation unit and am putting together a ...

Question for all those with subs ? ? ?

OK I have a 2005 STi. I already have an eclipe AVN 2454 Navigation unit and am putting together a system. I will be putting a single 12 in JL Audio W3 v2 in the trunk in a sealed box and feeding it about 300w. Will the bass have no problems getting into the main cabin i.e. where were sitting, or will it be muffled as there are no real openings as such for the bass to travel from the trunk to the cabin? I have only put systems in my hatch backs before and this was not a problem as the trunk and cabin are one as such.
    Thanks,
    MarK.
    Eclipse AVN 2454 Navigation system for sale - PM me for more details...
    MY 05 STi - SOLD
    MarK.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have 1 12 inch Kicker Solo, in a truck box mounted to the back of the seat. This allows me to keep alot of my trunk usefull. Powered by a RF 360@2 Bridged. I have no problems at all with bass being muffled and thats with the speaker blocking the seats also. Nice tight bass. You will need some dynamatt, or the equvilent. The metal is thin, and seats are thin. So bass doesnt have a problem getting through either
    Will #1
    LISC #2

Quote Originally Posted by Cheveyboy
    I have 1 12 inch Kicker Solo, in a truck box mounted to the back of the seat. This allows me to keep alot of my trunk usefull. Powered by a RF 360@2 Bridged. I have no problems at all with bass being muffled and thats with the speaker blocking the seats also. Nice tight bass. You will need some dynamatt, or the equvilent. The metal is thin, and seats are thin. So bass doesnt have a problem getting through either
    Perfect, I am sure I'll be happy then. Are you reccomending dynomat for the trunk lid or are you suggesting the whole trunk to be soundproofed? Oh and what do u mean by the speaker blocking the seat?
    Thanks again,
    MarK.
    Eclipse AVN 2454 Navigation system for sale - PM me for more details...
    MY 05 STi - SOLD
    MarK.

Im useing a truck speaker box, with the shape of that box it fits perfectly in the back of the truck pushed against the back of the seat. So when you look at it you cant see the back of the seats at all when you look in my trunk. For starters just do the trunk lid, and the bottom of the rear deck. Then next when you get time or the money, do the side quarter panels. Then last do the bottom of the trunk. All in that order would suffice over time.
    Will #1
    LISC #2

i just bought some dynamat, because i have a real problem with the rear deck rattleing when the bass hits. The guy at the auto shop suggested taking off the rear deck then putting down the dynamat. could you just dynamat the underside of it from the trunk? ( would be much easier) besides im not really sure how to take that deck lid off i have an 04

anyone have this problem and corrected it?

Anyone know a rattling trunk fix?

this post talks about expandable foam, anyone know where to get that?
    Last edited by HiCkS; 12-10-2004 at 07:02 PM.
    www.kiowapilots.com

honestly, if you ported the box, the bass wuld get into ur cabin a lot better, and also if you open the trunk-thru in the middle of the back seat, thatll help a ton. putting a sealed sub in a sedan's trunk is kind of self-defeating, as the trunk will greatly detract from quality. Getting good quality from a sub in a sedan is not too easy. You could make your own custom box w/baffling, and that would be amazing for quality and SPL..

Back to the problems at hand...you shoudl definitly invest in some dynamat-like-substance. I don't reccomend dynamat simply because it is insanely expensive, and there are other things that are much cheaper. I just bought 60 sq. feet of edead (thicker and better than dynamat xtreme), for $100 shipped. www.edesignaudio.com

Ideally, for sound deadening material to work, you need to cover every square inch of your car with it. You could just cover your trunk, and that woudl help a ton with the sub. Only deadening the bottom of the trunk will do very little good, you definitly need to deaden the trunk lid as well. you don't have to remove the trunk lid to do it though...i dont know why you woudl have to.
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

He is talking about the rear deck lid, not trunk. Sound proofing is supposedto lower the resonating frequency of the surface its applied too. In lab results of testing diffrent kinds of sound deading matereals, you need not apply to every square inch of bare metal. And of course dynamat is extreamly expensive. As we have both said there are other materials out there that perform just as well for less.

I personaly like the sound of a sealed box, even in the trunk of a sedan. Its tighter then a ported box with the type of music i listen too. I wouldnt say its defeating the purpose, it depends on what the person listens too. But your right, its not optimal.
    Will #1
    LISC #2

yeah sealed vs. ported is all subjective. from my view, i think ported is the best, cuz it is generally louder, and my sub already has good quality, so i dont lose much hearing quality there. (i listen to metallica, LP, greenday, evanescence, etc...) on a few metallica songs, my sub is lacking a little bit in the response department, but not much at all, and i can always change the Q on my sub to fix that, but lose some SPL. i like the constant back massage of the sub

sound proofing isn't just for lowering the resonating frequencies though, i thought it was also to help reflect the sound better, which would increase spl and sq. ideally, covering every sq. inch of a surface would be the best way to go, but it's not necessary. i guess i didn't clarify that.
    if you are simply tryign to eliminate rattling, then you woudl just have to apply some mat to the surface that is rattling. if you are tryign to increase spl and sq, then you shoudl apply as much as possible.

about the rear deck, yeah that would seem to be kinda hard to get to. I remember reading somewhere about how to get to it easily for dynamatting purposes...i'll try to find that page and then post a link to it.
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

thanks, i followed your advice and did put some dynamat in smaller pieces on the metal that protects where the rear deck lid is. Then going from the expandable foam post, i did get some of that but i didnt like the way it looked, it was messy, but i also bought a roll of home insulation, and stuffed that in all the holes to "prop up" the rear deck, and the sound is 100% better now
    www.kiowapilots.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.