stereo problems after washing

This is a discussion on stereo problems after washing within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; whenever I wash my STi, for the next few hours after that, my stereo doesnt make any noise at all, ...

stereo problems after washing

whenever I wash my STi, for the next few hours after that, my stereo doesnt make any noise at all, or maybe if I hit a bump it will cut back on for a second. the next day, it works again if I crack my drivers side just a little bit. Ive had this problem since I put in my front speakers, but ive just been to lazy to write about it, now its pissing me off. Any Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What do you mean by crack your driver's side? Since you put in speakers and then it happened, logic would point to that as the source. Did you go with larger diameter speakers and had to use a spacer? One thing that could be happening is the terminal on the speaker on the driver's side could be shorting out against the metal opening in the door. i know Innovative Automotive's spacer instructions tell you it's a good idea to line the exposed metal with electrical tape to prevent this. A short might cause your radio to cut out and then when you hit a bump, the speaker slightly moves enough to break the contact. As far as washing and my presumption, water droplets will travel down your window and could be making that connection all over again between your terminal and metal. My advice is pop the driver's door panel and speaker and check it out.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake