Aftermarket Horn Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Horn Question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I got an aftermarket horn. I'm looking under my hood, and I see 3 horns. One is the horn ...

Aftermarket Horn Question

So, I got an aftermarket horn. I'm looking under my hood, and I see 3 horns. One is the horn for when I hit the button, one is for the alarm (both verified by disconnecting & reconnecting it), but the third on the strut tower doesn't do anything. I think it has something to do w/ my alarm, but no freaking clue at this point.

Any ideas?

Also, as an aside, I'm putting in some hella supertones. I'm thinking that I should hook both the horn and alarm into the new horns, since they're louder than both combined.

Anyone done this? I can do the wiring, I'm just wondering if this is even a new idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've been wondering about that horn for a long time...only wrxs with the factory alarm have it. I've even set the alarm off and stuck my head next to it and it doesn't honk, maybe it's the alarm that honks when you lock and unlock (I turned that off)?
    There are a couple people around here with the hella horns.
    <Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

Talked to an electronics guru here at work, and he said that my best bet is probably to just run the horns directly off of the steering wheel only. Unless you pick a diode, or make some other type of circuitry isolation, you could have an issue with the circuit.

Anyone know about the strut-tower horn?

What year is your car? Mine is a 2003, so take that with advisement. They may have changed in later years.

Your descriptions don't really jive with the wiring diagrams I'm looking at. The service manual shows two horns with Black/Blue wires coming from the load side of the horn relay. (Wiring Section, page 89). The third horn (I assume the strut tower) has a R/Y wire and is sourced from the security module, not a relay (WI-122).

When I wired in my Fiamm horns, I do remember that the two front horns being on the same circuit. I left the alarm horn on the strut tower alone.

I have a (self-installed) factory alarm. I had to add in the strut tower horn, but I don't remember what color that wire was.

Since the road horns are isolated by the horn relay, you can theoretically put any load on there that you want. When the relay is energized, the horns draw power straight from the car's power rail.

I say theoretically, because I did have a problem with my alarm module about a month ago. It died, utterly, and kept setting off the alarms while I was driving down the road. That was fun. The Subaru service department, seeing my aftermarket road horns, immediately blamed it on that, which is total BS if the wiring diagram is correct. The module was replaced under warranty anyway. There are lots of people on the board with Hellas and such, and I haven't seen anyone else have the security module die. I blame it on random manufacturing defects or maybe a power surge hit, not my big horns.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.