OEM Sub on Aftermarket Head Unit
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on OEM Sub on Aftermarket Head Unit within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it possible to get the OEM Sub hooked up to an aftermarket deck? I'm looking at replacing the deck ...

OEM Sub on Aftermarket Head Unit

Is it possible to get the OEM Sub hooked up to an aftermarket deck? I'm looking at replacing the deck with a satelite ready unit, but don't want to loose the sub. As lame as it is, it's better than nothing, already in the car, and is basically invisible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's possible, though I couldn't give you the technical how-to data. Mine is still hooked up to my Alpine unit, though I also have an aftermarket sub.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Racenut
    Is it possible to get the OEM Sub hooked up to an aftermarket deck? I'm looking at replacing the deck with a satelite ready unit, but don't want to loose the sub. As lame as it is, it's better than nothing, already in the car, and is basically invisible.
    I'm sorry for asking the obvious...but why would you do that??

Granted, the sub is light, not very loud, but you can buy aftermarket subs and amps that weigh only slightly more, yet sound exponentially better. If trunk space is a problem, there are boxes around that will allow you to retain much of your trunk, and still get very good sound.

I'm not trying to mock or disrespect you, but you should really consider slapping that OEM stuff on ebay and using the spoils to get some better tunes.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    I'm sorry for asking the obvious...but why would you do that??

Granted, the sub is light, not very loud, but you can buy aftermarket subs and amps that weigh only slightly more, yet sound exponentially better. If trunk space is a problem, there are boxes around that will allow you to retain much of your trunk, and still get very good sound.

I'm not trying to mock or disrespect you, but you should really consider slapping that OEM stuff on ebay and using the spoils to get some better tunes.

Like I said.. it's already there... just trying to keep the cost down. Being married with two kids kinda sucks that way All of a sudden, satelite radio goes from a $100-150 add-on to a $500 can of worms.. tends to make the wife grumpy, so then I have to spend $500 on her... and then the kids are feeling left out.. so $500 is only fair for them... each... all of a sudden I'm out $2000 for satelite radio

Quote Originally Posted by Racenut
    Like I said.. it's already there... just trying to keep the cost down. Being married with two kids kinda sucks that way All of a sudden, satelite radio goes from a $100-150 add-on to a $500 can of worms.. tends to make the wife grumpy, so then I have to spend $500 on her... and then the kids are feeling left out.. so $500 is only fair for them... each... all of a sudden I'm out $2000 for satelite radio
    Who says they all need $500 worth of stuff. Take the $2k and put it all into your car! duhh!
    1997 Milano Red GSR GT32E powered, LSVTEC
    mo pOwA than ur subiE bicH! jk...but shess quikk

1997 milano red Civic
    SI wannabeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by m r g s r
    Who says they all need $500 worth of stuff. Take the $2k and put it all into your car! duhh!
    You're not married are you?

just fyi, you can prob sell your oem sub for $100... and you could pick up a new infinity basslink online for about $200. it sounds infinitely better, and thats only the tip of the iceberg. some audiophiles say the basslink isnt good, but for my untrained ears the thing is a great value, gets pretty freakin loud, and doesnt take up much space at all... and at $100 used, who was i to say no? .
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Quote Originally Posted by Racenut3.0
    You're not married are you?
    Nope, I better not be, I'm 18!
    1997 Milano Red GSR GT32E powered, LSVTEC
    mo pOwA than ur subiE bicH! jk...but shess quikk

1997 milano red Civic
    SI wannabeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    just fyi, you can prob sell your oem sub for $100... and you could pick up a new infinity basslink online for about $200.
    The Basslink would take up too much space anyway, I don't ride around with a bowling bag in the trunk for the same reason Clarion makes a sub that is similar to the OEM, but a little bigger. I think it's a 7" driver. And Kenwood makes a low profile sub too, but it wouldn't fit under the seat but I have seen them put on the back seatback.

Clarion - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MuHPtAe...SRV303&g=51000

Kenwood - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MuHPtAe...00&I=113WA62RC

Anyone have any opinion on those?

Did you ever get an answer to the original question? I too want to utilize my factory sub with an aftermarket head unit. I like the location and concealment of the sub, and don't want to spend additional money replacing anything. I was emailing Crutchfield and they said it hooks up to their wiring harness's "BU" wire. What does that mean? Is "BU" a standard wire?

Here is the wiring out:
    12V Igniition / ACC - Red
    12V Battery / Memroy - Yellow
    Ground - Black
    Power Antenna - Blue
    Amp Turn-on - Blue / white
    Amp Ground - Black / white
    Illumination - Orange
    Dimmer+ = Orange / white
    Dimmer- - Orange / black
    Phone Mute - Brown

The rest are for Right / left fronts & rears.

I havent actually seen or worked with the factory sub fist hand, so this is just an educated guess here, but i have delt with amp sub setups on other cars. There may be a wire at the harness on the amp that turns the factory amp in the sub unit on when the radio comes on. This probably wouldnt be too hard to find with a volt tester, then just run that to an accessory line so it comes on when the car comes on. If its wired anything like the front door speaker setup may just should draw its signal off the other 4 chanel outputs on the radio.If not though... If you get a harness for the factory connection (rather than just trying to cut and splice all the wires yourself) there will more than likely be open plugs on it that have wires on the car side that are the sub outputs, test them, and tap those to the rear speaker wires and that should account for the signal to the sub. As long as the aftermarket deck and the sub's amps work together you should be fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.