Audio install costs

This is a discussion on Audio install costs within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm finally getting around to re-installing the stereo equipment I bought for the last WRX ( equipment list ) into ...

Audio install costs

I'm finally getting around to re-installing the stereo equipment I bought for the last WRX (equipment list) into the new one. I want a more professional install than last time (not crackheads).

The plan is to make a fibreglass enclosure in the passenger side hatch area for the sub, and make a false floor to house the two amps. Everything else just goes in the standard places (HU in the dash, etc). Dynamat for the doors.

Audio shop DD wants $1500 to do it. That's with everything: labor, parts, custom enclosure. DD is reputable, and is evidently a quality shop.

I'm getting a quote from audio shop AE this afternoon, we'll see.

So, two questions:

1. Am I getting raped on install costs? The DD quote is more than I spent on the first install WITH equipment.
    2. Can anyone think of a better way to install the stuff? I can't lose the spare tire, need to be able to haul stuff (fold down the seats, etc), and drive like a crazy f0cker (so I need it to be sturdy.

ej20fan: make me an offer, and I'll drive out there and have a pro do it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

AE wants $1100. Better, still a lot of money.

Argh. Stereo or exhaust?

Deck: Alpine CDA-9827-you should be able to install this on your own with a wiring harness very very easy

Front: Boston Acoustics FS60 (6.5" mid, .75" tweeter)-(not sure of the stock speaker sizes but this is also easy to install yourself

Back: Boston Acoustics RX47 (4" mid)-very easy to install yourself but very easy

Sub: Boston Acoustics Generator 10" have shop make custom enclosure a wood box shouldent be more than 150 a fiberglass would be substantially more

Power: Rockford Fosgate P4004 (1200W max) for the speakers, Rockford P2002 (600W max) have a shop do it shouldent be a whole lot 2-300 maybe a wee more

Other: Dynamat door panels, and a bass controller on the center console. do it your self very easy include drilling a hole and mount the actual boost controllerbehind some panel and put the knob on fromt he other side if you can use duct tape you can use dynamat

going that route woul save you an ass load of money and installing all of that stuff owuld be very easy
    [/Edit]

$1500-1000 seems a bit much. i agree with slug, half the stuff u can DIY, which would drop the cost by half. you know what exactly goes into your system and how its done. but if your unsure of yourself, 700-1000 sounds more realistic
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You can do everything yourself, except for the front speakers and the box. A good custom box would be more than $150. You pay for the knowledge of them building the box right, meaning it should run no less than $250 for a proper 'vented' enclosure, even it it's only made out of wood and carpeted. I make a stealth enclosure for about that (shameless plug), click here.
    The install cost of the front components could be as high as $100, but worth every penny. If the speaker hits the window or the panel, they'll have to deal with it, not you. Moving the window rail is a real PITA. Everything else is a DIY. I can get you the amp kit, harness, Dynamat, etc... Just let me know when you want it.

-Claudiu Ene
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

for a wood box the best builder i know of is a user name geolemon on www.caraudioforum.com he runs his own business and uses the best of the best for eerything he does you might want to givehim a shout top of the line stuff

Quote Originally Posted by $lug
    Deck: Alpine CDA-9827-you should be able to install this on your own with a wiring harness very very easy

Front: Boston Acoustics FS60 (6.5" mid, .75" tweeter)-(not sure of the stock speaker sizes but this is also easy to install yourself

Back: Boston Acoustics RX47 (4" mid)-very easy to install yourself but very easy

Sub: Boston Acoustics Generator 10" have shop make custom enclosure a wood box shouldent be more than 150 a fiberglass would be substantially more

Power: Rockford Fosgate P4004 (1200W max) for the speakers, Rockford P2002 (600W max) have a shop do it shouldent be a whole lot 2-300 maybe a wee more

Other: Dynamat door panels, and a bass controller on the center console. do it your self very easy include drilling a hole and mount the actual boost controllerbehind some panel and put the knob on fromt he other side if you can use duct tape you can use dynamat

going that route woul save you an ass load of money and installing all of that stuff owuld be very easy
    Hmm. Well, for the amp board, my friends and I are fairly sure we can do it with some plywood (or something). Speakers and HU won't be a problem really, I just need to buy a lot of wire. The installers I talked to said that using the stock wiring for the speakers would be fine, anyone have any opinions of that?

As for the sub, I have it in a crap box now, and can use that until I get something better. Maybe the fibreglass in the corner, maybe something else. My current worry is: I don't want the damn thing sliding all over the place when I'm out being crazy. I can just take it out when I'm going to go romping, but I lose some spontenaity (sp?) with that.