Subwoofer question
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subwoofer question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I replaced all 4 door speakers with 6.5" and 4" Eclipses, which was a huge improvement, but I want more ...

Skidmoore80

Post Subwoofer question

I replaced all 4 door speakers with 6.5" and 4" Eclipses, which was a huge improvement, but I want more bass. What subwoofer set up should I do that will cost less than $400? I'm considering the Subaru sub/amp, but I'm afraid it will be crappy. Advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Steve Rempel

It's hard to beat a high quality sub in a closed box in the back. A single sub in a 1 cu ft box should give you great sound quality (unless you want to wake the dead with boom boom). I use a a/d/s 10" Dual Voice Coil sub that is awesome. cost me $400 Canadian for the box and sub, but I already owned the amp. A $250 amp should do it.

Skidmoore80

Question

What have other Rex owners done to enhance their systems?

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: Skidmoore80 ]

Pioneer 3 way 6.5's
    Blaupunkt 4's
    Pioneer tweeters
    kenwood 5 channel amp
    kenwood head unit
    12 inch rockford ina box in the trunk

THE FACTORY SUB IS A PIECE OF ****!!!!!

Since Subaru provides a subwoffer that works the stock head unit I assume the head unit has standard preamp outputs and a turn-on lead to hookup any amplifier/sub in the trunk?

I would be nice to not have to replace the head unit to add a sub.

Josh Goldberg

I went to a local car audio place. The guy who worked on my WRX just bought one himself.

We left the head unit in place; it's not the problem. The lack of power and the lame speakers are. He put:

Alpine 5-channel (MRV-F357) in the trunk
    Kenwood Excelon 6.5" component system in the front doors
    Kenwood Excelon 4" coax in the rear doors
    JL Audio 10" sub in an enclosed box in the trunk

Sounds awesome!!

Keeferno

anyone know if subaru's sub is any good? It'd be nice to just have it under the passenger seat and not take up any trunk space

to be honest, i got the upgraded speakers and powered sub. i didnt have the choice (was already both installed) but the upgraded speakers are fine. they are tweeter manufactured midi's and tweets.

as for the powered sub, it just okay. theres a little punch, but no real kick.

i have a full range box, two 10" pyle subs, powered by a two channel 250 watt equalized amp. the current system will be good enough till i mount the amp on the back of the seats, and connect everything. the wire is already run from the battery though, i just need to complete the job.

if you have the choice, i would go for the upgraded speakers, and bail on the sub.

keep bumpin.

I used to have a honda nad in my opioin it is just as bad. Stock stuff is horrible and the stock sub is horriblke also. It is a poor excuse for an audio system. I wouldnt waste my money on it.

eclipse 55430 deck
    eclipse 6 disk in dash changer
    illusion audio 6.5 components

and workin on either a jl or an eclipse 10"

joe
    BugEyes are your friend

I kinda dig my factory sub personally. Of course, I don't give a rat's ass about car audio any more like I did before I knew what going fast was all about.

Anyways, PunksWRx on this board has the Infinity BassLink in his sedan and it rawks. He paid about $400 for it, but did mnetion that people were gettin them for $250 on ebay. Amp built-in and the enclosure is rather tiny. I think he got his from Crutchfield.. they should have some more specs.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

I Support ClubWRX

sorry, but the stock speakers Suck. I have the upgraded speakers and they are HORRIBLE. The stock sound system on my GSR was WAY better (alpine deck stock with 6 sweet speakers). Now, all cars need subs to thump, but I at least wish the speakers were good. I already have a Sony CDX deck, punch amp, and two 12" punch subs from my GSR, but I don't want to get rid of the 6-disk changer. I think I'm gonna have custom enclosures made on the sides of the trunk for the subs. -C
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

just put in a punch 360, and two fosgate xlc's 10"

LOOOVE it.

DR

Shameless Plug..... I have a Kicker 10 inch sub in a box for sale. It was built by Fry's Electronics and sounds good. I recently had a baby so there is no room in the trunk.
    As far as adding an amp. I think you would have to add some sort of hi to low converter to convert the hi level outputs from the speaker wire to the low level inputs to the amp. Or get an amp with high level inputs, usually those amps aren't the greatest quality but there are some good ones.
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCalDrifters/?yguid=112436253
    I don't pick my nose, I port my intake

Angry Factory Subwoofer is Lame

I have to agree with everyone on the factory sub-woofer. I have mine turned waaaaaaaaay down to eliminate the distortion that I was getting at higher volumes.

BTW, I'm no "thumpin" adolescent, and I rarely have anyone complain that I have the radio turned up too loud. The distortion in the Factory Sub is real and it's real soon when you start turning up the volume.
    2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue - Full STi Suspension & Short Shifter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast