Subwoofer question - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subwoofer question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had the upgraded sound package on my WRX too! It sucks........ Kept the stock head unit, using PL2's to ...

I had the upgraded sound package on my WRX too!

It sucks........

Kept the stock head unit, using PL2's to convert to rca

I just had an eclipse 5 channel amp installed (under driver's seat)

Replaced all 4 speakers with Eclipse 6.5's and 51/4's? and I have an Eclipse 10" sub in a small box in the trunk......

I even have a volume control for the sub in the trunk (it's hidden inside my arm rest console) so when the girlfriend is in the car, I can tone it down a little....

All I can say is WOW! Holy Crap!

A world of difference....... I'm really glad I did it....... (it just took me 2 months to buy all the pieces, one by one....)
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ken,

Did you fit the 5.25" in the doors or put them on the back deck?

I have 4" Quarts and 5.25" Rockfords and I don't know which to use for my rear channels? What do you recommend?

-Jim

I'd probably go for the 5.25 in the rear doors (where I put mine) the installer did notice that it was a tight fit..... depth wise.... you may want to check that first....

Jim, I'm not really a connaisseur when it comes to audio setups either... I relied upon my budy who is an installer tech at a stereo shop.

So far I love the setup.......

I'm having them custom make a sub box that should fit very neatly in the passenger side trunk corner.... they have one now that fills in that area, and also has a mounting platform for an amp......
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

Ken,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I don't think I can fit the 5.25" I bought, they are really deep. I want to though because they handle exactly the same amount of power as my MB Quart 6.5" components, so I would have a great balance all the way around.

I know what you mean about the stereo, you don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate a good system. My stereo is the one thing I am really unhappy with in my car. I can't wait to start my upgrades, but I'm all about performance first, everything else second.

What brand and model of speaker-level signal-converter did you use? I need to pick a couple of those up.

-Jim

W7

Buy one 10inch w7 with a 250$ amp, and you will get the same sound as 2 15inch w3 jls.
    Its worth the money

I have installed a Basslink in my friends WRX it was very easy took me all of 20-30 mins of course I'm experienced though. Its gives much better bass than that factory sub. If you have a choice dont get the factory sub and if you have it rip it out to save a few pounds lol.

I like a little more bass than what the Basslink puts out so it all depends on your taste. A single 12" sub in a sealed box would shake the rear view mirror...dual 12" subs would be bumpin. I'll be going with 2 10" infinity perfect subs when I get my Rex

I cant believe some of you guys buy from crutchfield you can get much better deals here

www.ikesound.com
    www.thezeb.com
    www.mmxpress.com

Any questions on installs or subs email me gregfarz3@excite.com
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

Re: W7

Originally posted by WRXfan
    Buy one 10inch w7 with a 250$ amp, and you will get the same sound as 2 15inch w3 jls.
    Its worth the money
    What the RMS rating on the w7 I thought it was like 500W? You wont find a very good 500x1 RMS amp for $250. I'd get a class D amp to push one of those w7s
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com

Audiophilez

thanks for the links!!!

I cant believe some of you guys buy from crutchfield you can get much better deals here

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex
    thanks for the links!!!

dR
    Whats dR mean

No prob man I never pay retail for audio equipment just have to shop around for a good deal. www.millionbuy.com is a good one too

Stay away from www.discountave.com and www.competitionsound.com their customer service BLOWS took 4 weeks to ship an amp that was in stock
    Last edited by GregFarz78; 02-12-2002 at 12:53 PM.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com

Audiophilez

Originally posted by GregFarz78

Whats dR mean
    short for his name: dark_rex

(or maybe he wants us to address him as Dr. Rex.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I have the upgraded sound system in my WRX, I have a whole pile of equipment from my last car in my house, but I didn't have the choice to not get the upgrade package, it was the only black Rexx in the area.

I hate the sound system. The 5" ( or sounds like 2") sub (can that really even be considered a sub?) sucks. It distorts when I turn the volume up past about 8 or 9, and that's with no bass added on the EQ settings. The door speakers aren't any better either, since they are just standard run of the mill factory speakers with "whizzer" cones for highs. I think the only difference is they're made out of Polypropelene instead of paper.

Unfortunately, I'm working on speed right now, so my pile of amps and subs and my Kenwood MP3 player are gonna have to sit in the closet for a little while longer. When I do get around to rippen that **** out, anyone's welcome to buy the factory sub off me for cheap if that's the kind of bass they want.

my $.02
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

I have a '02 WRX wagon with the "upgraded" speakers and factory sub-woofer. The system sounded like mud. I replaced all of the speakers but, for this topic, I specifically replaced the sub-woofer with:

Kenwood KSC-WA62RC powered sub-woofer (under driver's seat)

I used the wiring for the factory sub-woofer for the Kenwood unit. The Kenwood comes with a remote control to adjust the cross-over and gain/volume while you are in the driver's seat.

I'm very pleased with the sound improvement. Good luck with your mods.

Jeff

Will the basslink sub fit under the passenger seat? If not is there a sub that will, besides factory?
    Wanna go for a ride?!

The basslink won't fit under the seat. A couple posts above this one is info about a Kenwood powered sub that does fit under the seat.
    Catalytic converters are for hippies.

I'm sorry, I meant one that had a real sub in it. A 8,10, or 12 inch. I don't think a 5" will cut it for a sub.I'll just get a couple of subs for the trunk. Thanks anyways.
    Wanna go for a ride?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast