Engine starter

This is a discussion on Engine starter within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if anyone here have a automatic engine starter on their car. just curious if theres any cons ...

Engine starter

I was wondering if anyone here have a automatic engine starter on their car. just curious if theres any cons to it. if so advise me...
    2005 Aspen White WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It costs money, some installers won't install on MT cars, and if you don't get a safety on an MT car you can start your car into something. (almost witnessed this once)

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    We install them all the time. There is a waiver you must sign though in order for us to do it.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I got it...it's pretty nice...it's been especially useful lately in SoCal cuz of freezing weather...I just set my a/c to pretty warm and 2nd notch on the air and start it up about 3 minutes before getting into the car...and it's nice and cozy inside ...

as far as safety wise, ya...be very careful...just make sure u check that you are in neutral EVERYTIME after someone goes into your car...cuz u never know when you buddy goes in there to play with your shifter and leaves in gear...and at time you might forget and do that yourself...otherwise, it's pretty cool to have to warm up the car (u can also turn off the car....at least my Clifford does) ...good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    I've seen them take off before. It's actually funny to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I've seen them take off before. It's actually funny to watch
    haha...after the dealer washed my car, the driver put the car in gear and when i started my car (without even looking to see if it was in neutral) my jumped about 4-5 feet and then stalled. (the car doesn't just continue to run) (if you have a turbo timer and if you use it all the time, then there is no way that the car will take off by accident, ya know what i mean?)...but it scared the *eck outta me I've been very very careful with it ever since...I learned to always check my car if I plan to "auto-start" it after someone's been in my car....

I had one in a truck that i used to have. It was for mt vehicles. You had to wire it to the ebrake. when you got out of the car you had to remove the key and get out with the engine running. When the door was shut the engine would turn off. After all that if the unit sensed that a door was opened the remote start feature wouldn't work.
    Mark

FWIW, there is a neutral safety switch on the impreza. there is a wire coming out of the ecu that carries this signal. i had mine wired into that circuit and if my car is not in neutral, it won't even try to start. i found a link to the file somewhere over on nasioc. it lists the harness and wire number from the ecu. i will look later to see if i still have it saved.

-e

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Please keep me posted in this. I've heard about neutral safety wires.. but have yet to see a wire-diagram listing this wire for the WRX or STi. I'd be very interested to know how it works. Does it sense/trigger off the ground when the shifter is in gear?? Please...do tell.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Please keep me posted in this. I've heard about neutral safety wires.. but have yet to see a wire-diagram listing this wire for the WRX or STi. I'd be very interested to know how it works. Does it sense/trigger off the ground when the shifter is in gear?? Please...do tell.
    There is a neutral sensing wire in these cars. Apparently most remote starters have some sort of sensor wire (hood pin wire?) that you can hook up to the neutral sensor wire and you should'nt have any problems.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure what sort of neutral sensor you guys have in mind....unless something that senses the input shaft or whatever. In any case, the simplest thing that most remote starters at upon is the handbrake sensor....unless the handbrake is on, remote starter doesn't work...nor does turbo timer(many systems combine the two features). However, this isn't completely fail safe as you can have the handbrake pull lightly and the car will still move. Just forget about keeping the shifter in gear and use the handbrake to keep the car in place. It the car doesn't move with the handbrake up, it is likely not to move if started accidently in gear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by schischwein
    Not sure what sort of neutral sensor you guys have in mind....unless something that senses the input shaft or whatever. In any case, the simplest thing that most remote starters at upon is the handbrake sensor....unless the handbrake is on, remote starter doesn't work...nor does turbo timer(many systems combine the two features). However, this isn't completely fail safe as you can have the handbrake pull lightly and the car will still move. Just forget about keeping the shifter in gear and use the handbrake to keep the car in place. It the car doesn't move with the handbrake up, it is likely not to move if started accidently in gear.
    There is an actual input wire that sends a signal to the ecu (on '02/03 wrx's i believe it's connector B134 pin 8...) that sends a negative voltage signal if the car is in gear (that might be backwards).
    As far as using the ebrake, that would be a decent signal to use, but if you have a neutral signal it just seems like a better idea to use that than the ebrake. I've seen cars move more than a little bit with the ebrake on. Certainly enough to possibly hit something if you're parallel parked. The car can jump pretty hard...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Here's some useful links:

http://dreamspeedonline.com/forums/v...fc5678ea555921

www.ravensblade-impreza.com the ecu wiring diagram is under "Tech Docs/Info" --> "Technical Documents" --> "Wiring Guides". 2005 WRX is towards the bottom.