need a new driver seat.

This is a discussion on need a new driver seat. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi all, i'm looking for a new drivers seat only, screw passengers. After tracking my car recently, i'm not digging ...

need a new driver seat.

hi all, i'm looking for a new drivers seat only, screw passengers. After tracking my car recently, i'm not digging fighting g-forces while steering,

i dont know where to begin really, or where to find them.

i want to retain the stock seat hight, and i like to sit rather verticaly.
    I'm a fairly small guy too, so anything you 5'8" people find "tight" i should have no problem with.

i'd prefer black /grey, but as long as it doesnt clash too much with the rest of the car...

it doesnt need to be compatible with racing harnesses, but i'll leave that open.
    if i say anything about buying things, remind me all i want to spend money on is school and my car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is a groupbuy going on right now for som Bride replicas. Looks pretty good. Lemme see if I can find it...

EDIT: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...ht=bride+seats
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

1x2
    Burnera,

Were you too late for the group buy?

If so, maybe check out a Cobra Clubman. Seating is very vertical. I've had one in another car since 1997, I love it. The catch, maybe, is I had sheepskin seatcovers left over from a Honda, I slit the top of one a little, and fitted it. Don't know what the comfort level would be without the seatcovers, but I can drive that car for 20+ hours in absolute comfort the way it is now (btw, sounds like I'm about your size). The wrx seats give me a sore butt after ~6 hrs so I'm seriously considering buying one for the rex. Another upside, they cost $250 from www.subesports.com (that's where I got the one I have now), pretty cheap for a replacement seat, and you can get 'em in black/grey.

The downside is you may need a mounting bracket/base. That costs another $125. I didn't buy one for the Dodge, just made one that doesn't adjust, took me a whole day to get just the right tilt, height, face-forward angle, and distance from the wheel & pedals. The Cobra brackets I saw are back/forth adjustable but not up or down, although maybe for the sube they are. I have no idea what height they're set at. The rex seats adjust up or down, I have mine down all the way and would like to drop further, for a lower center of gravity...

Another downside. The stock seats according to what I read here weigh ~34 lbs. The Clubman weighs 17 lbs. + the bracket weighs ~9 lbs, iirc (asked about it even though I didn't buy it). So you wouldn't save a lot of weight, but hey, every little bit helps.

If you got the Clubman, you might want to buy an aftermarket seat belt sold for older cars with no seat belts at all (waist belt only). You use just the clasp belt. You can bolt one end of the clasp belt to the floor using the rear bracket mount bolt, slide the clasp through the lower right harness slot of the seat, and still use the shoulder/waist belt that came with the car. This'll actually be safer, cuz both ends of the seatbelt will be connected directly to the body of the car.

1x2

thanks for the info, yeah i was too late for the group buy.

i'm not tottally sold on the bride replicas either though, but right now anything is better than these stock L seats, might as well be a park bench in my car.

i've been looking at corbeau actually.
    if i say anything about buying things, remind me all i want to spend money on is school and my car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on whether you need back adjustment and all....You can choose from a variety of reliable seats(from OMP, Sparco, Cobra, etc) that are fixed back if you sit rather upright anyway....and you'll need side mounts, a base mount and probably want sliders if you aren't the only one driving the car(that isn't your height/leg length).

Side mounts come in various forms often with slight tilt adjustment and height...but then fixed in place...so it isn't on the fly.