help: sub box sliding in trunk

This is a discussion on help: sub box sliding in trunk within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Need some help here. I have a 10" sub in the trunk of my WRX and it makes the whole ...

Question help: sub box sliding in trunk

Need some help here. I have a 10" sub in the trunk of my WRX and it makes the whole carpet in the trunk slide around. I tried putting velcro down to keep it from moving, it would work for a little while then just break loose and not work again. Any suggestions?? Thought about gluing it down, but i thought i'd ask the good people on the board. Thanks.
    Chadwick
    Denver, CO
    '04 WRX
    '03 F4i - totalled

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have 2 10's and whenever i would move it would slide. i got my gf's dad to cut up some wood and made this cool little brace thingy. i was thinking of putting some carpet over it so you cant see the wood, but im not showing it of so i dont care.it even holds whatever else i put in their so that doesnt slid either.

i can take a picture some time later tonight or tomorow if you would like to see.

here is a somewhat ok good i guess. just screwed together some wood.
    dont mind the old beer posters and work gloves...god knows what else is stuffed behind the box...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by chadwick
    Need some help here. I have a 10" sub in the trunk of my WRX and it makes the whole carpet in the trunk slide around. I tried putting velcro down to keep it from moving, it would work for a little while then just break loose and not work again. Any suggestions?? Thought about gluing it down, but i thought i'd ask the good people on the board. Thanks.
    I used little "L" brackets and mounted the box right to the bottom of the trunk through the carpet when I had a '992.5rs.

FWIW, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

yeah use the l bracket idea, you can paint the brackets flat black to "hide" them, i have had no issues with them at all in the car.

VR4
    i used l brackets on top, with thte top the of "L" going through 2 of the holes on the top of the trunk so the box cant slide anywhere.. easy to do worx great

Well, if i had a digital camera, and if my car weren't possibly totaled, i'd take some pics of how i mounted my infinity 12dvq. Basically, i just put a slab of MDF underneath the carpet where the sub wuld be, and the amp too. Then i just screwed in my amp, and used "L" brackets to mount the sub. Seems to work really well. I had to use 2 of the bracks on each side of the box that i culd get to.

I'm currently planning on making a cutout of MDF in the shape of my trunk so i can have a 3/4" mdf surface underneath my carpet, making it easier to mount xovers, amps, subs... and wiring issues will be solved.
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

I used a rubber draw latch. I screwed the base to the floor and the catch part to the sub box. This way it's nice and easy to take the sub out when I need to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1685ap1l.gif  
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

u screwed into ur sub box?!? bad bad plan...unless you managed to screw into the bottom slab of MDF, it will take affect on the SQ. I'm not sure how noticable it is, but it is a bad plan to ever drill into a sub box.
    genius idea though
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

No screws or wood for me... I just bought a couple elastic-style tie-downs from Target, looped them around the box (2 10's sitting against the rear seats) and hooked to some existing holes in the trunk framing.... works like a charm and is easy to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitreous
    No screws or wood for me...
    hmmmm.... and that wasn't meant to be dirty!

when i had my trunk dynamated (for two 12' JL W3's) , i also had them adhere my trunk carpet to the piece of wood/cardboard that covers up the spare, the carpet doesnt scrunch up anwhere or anything, and i dont have to put any braces in the trunk, the subs will move if u take a nice corner, but u can quickly reajust them without having to fool with the carpet