Need to convert speedo to km/h, is JDM STi Instrumentation cluster install difficult?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need to convert speedo to km/h, is JDM STi Instrumentation cluster install difficult? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Moving to Canada... so I need to convert my speedometer to metric, according to the Canadian registrar of imported vehicles. ...

Question Need to convert speedo to km/h, is JDM STi Instrumentation cluster install difficult?

Moving to Canada... so I need to convert my speedometer to metric, according to the Canadian registrar of imported vehicles.

If anyone has imported a WRX into Canada and can give details on the procedure, please chime in.

Anyways, I figure why not change my instrumentation cluster to a classy STi unit?

Does anyone know if this JDM part is swapple with the instrumentation cluster in the N.A. 2002 WRX?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm 95% sure that it simply connects to the WRX ECU and you are good to go. I'm not positive though. Doesn't the regular speedo have kph on the inside of the mph numbers?

-Jim

> Doesn't the regular speedo have kph on the inside of the mph numbers?

Yeah, you'd think that'd be good enough.

Apparently when I get to the border, after I pay 7% PST and 7% GST (on the cost of the car according to Canada's "red book" values ), + 6.1% duty and $150 A/C tax, I need to get the car inspected for emissions... and then the speedometer need to be converted. In the meantime they'll help me out by providing stickers to place on my speedometer.

The emissions check and visual inspection is reason enough fo rme not to touch my stock exhaust system... for now.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the STi speedo, Jim.

New twist...

Just talked to the folks at Mastro Subaru. Kyle @ Mastro informed me that the odometer state is stored in the instrumentation cluster itself, not elsewhere in the car. So if you swap the cluster, you switch odometers. If you do this yourself you effectively render the mileage of the car undiscernable (TMU = True Mileage Unknown).

They recommend that the switch should be performed by a dealership so that records of original and new mileage on the odometer can be made.

I always assumed that the state of the odometer was stored in a black box somewhere else in the car (and displayed on the instrumentation cluster)... but it seems like that is not the case. So while the swap itself is plug-ang-play, perhaps this is work best performed by a dealer.

- j

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm....are you sure you absolutely need to change the gauge cluster. I'm from Quebec and where I live, there are quite a few cars imported in that have US spec clusters(unchanged). Where in Canada are you moving back to? Oh and welcome back to igloo land.

You are correct in saying that the dealer must swap the gauge cluster. If current milage on the old cluster and new cluster isn't documented, you basically are throwing your warranty out the window. Dealers can't get paid for warranty work if they can't confirm the car is under warranty.

I was going to say that I thought the gauge cluster wouldn't work with the USDM ECU, but apparently, it just bolts on....look here
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Thumbs up So who wants to buy one?

So anyway... I have an unused STI 180KM/h 9000 rpm instrument cluster (with centre tach, shift light etc) which was removed from my car when I bought it.

Less than 100Km on the odo - looking for $200 US + shipping (from New Zealand).

Any interest? (my replacement cost around $700 US)

bretrichdale(at)yahoo(dot)com
    Last edited by BretMan; 10-02-2002 at 11:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.