Ipod connection queston, its a quicky!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ipod connection queston, its a quicky! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is there a plug that can connect the ipod to a head unit, and charge it at the same time? ...

Ipod connection queston, its a quicky!

Is there a plug that can connect the ipod to a head unit, and charge it at the same time? So for example, it sends the audio to head unit, and recieves power.

Does this exist?

I ask because of this...i really wanted the Alpine ipod unit, but I tried it in the store, and I didn't like it at all, I felt it scrolled horribly, and I couldn't even figure out how to play anything other than playlists.

So while, I still want an alpine for the sound, I would rather just hardwire to the ipod into the HU, but only if it charges as well.

Any help would be cool, thanks!
    Last edited by Xenotaku; 11-03-2004 at 07:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i actually bought the special aftermarket adapter that plugs into ur ciggerate lighter port and it charges the iPod, but also doubles as a FM transmitter that ur car can pick up...the connection isnt always the best so u'll hear alot of static every now and then, and it gives u 8 different channels to choose from, over all tho i really like it and i cant hear the static much becuz my loud music drowns it out neways
    [-victor-]

if u want to get better sq compared to fm mod, get the alpine deck and the kca121b plug for A-bus decks. it wont charge your ipod, but you'll get better sound. im not sure if they make that combo. i guess manufacturers still dont realize what consumers want and need. please prove me wrong if anyone knows of a product that does that combo
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

I was thinking about getting that $99 Alpine Ipod unit. No good huh?

Well the way I have it setup, I spliced my cig adapter power and ground wires and attached it to a belkin car charger with built in amplifier. The car charger is inside the dash, to the left of the stock cig adapter. I have the kca121b wire going from the back of the deck to the belkin car adapter. Then, the car adapter wire goes underneath the center console, right under the parking brake. So I just plug in my ipod and rest it in that little area right under the parking brake. I haven't figured out how to hide the ipod real nicely yet, but it works really good. Actually I would rather have the ipod in a different place, since the parking brake covers it a bit.

Oh, and i thought about getting that charger/FM adapter thing, but those FM adapters sound pretty crappy to me. Also, if you go on long trips, the station that you set it on is bound to get overtaken by another radio station.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Ahh.... The quest continues. I've had this problem/question from every customer that has an Ipod. Unfortunately, Apple didn't make it very convenient to charge/receive information from the ipod directly. I don't see why you'd need to charge it all the time though. The amount of time these things play for is incredible. So unless you're driving cross country I'm sure you could live with an extra wire to charge it, or charge it overnight. In regards to SQ on ipods, I wouldn't worry about it as we're talking about a highly compressed media file. SQ will be horrible when compared to a CD. The FM piece is pretty good and so far offers the most elegant way of mounting/charging/transmitting I've seen. Besides, you can change the broadcast frequencies on the adaptor on the fly.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I do a lot of driving, so its pretty crucial to have that sucker charging.

Thats pretty disapointing about the lack of a product for this. I heard that Alpine is coming out with newer HU's that will work better with the ipod deck thing, any truth to this rumor?

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Denison. Thats all I have to say. I'm thinking Santa might be bringing me one of these this Christmas.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

There's nothing that will do this for the OEM stereo, but go to http://www.mp3yourcar.com/ or http://icelink.densionusa.com/ to see devices that are compatible with various aftermarket units. Basically you need one that has the capability to control a seperate CD changer. Monster Cable have just announced something called iCruze, which sounds like much of the same, but isn't available yet.

For more general news on what's available for the iPod, go to http://www.ipodlounge.com/ . They have a complete buyer's guide available for download in pdf.

Has anyone bought the Alpine thing and liked it? It seems like its still the best option on the market.

Maybe I just didn't give it enough time when I tested it out in the store.

i'm looking into this very thing right now and was originally planning to get an alpine 9825 or something similar with the ipod adapter. after reading up on it more i'm really not impressed and think i would be better off with a normal aux in cable and seperate car charger when i need it. what i am still looking into is a good way to mount the ipod next to the head unit. anyways, i'm gonna go check out the links posted above and see what i find... if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I just got the Alpine adapter with a new alpine, so far it is ok. The things I dont like are you can not do any random or shuffel functions, and it is a little slow in choosing an artist with the dial. So I have been makeing different play lists for the ipod which should solve my problem. It is nice to be able to hide the ipod in the glove box though.

I want the Ipod adapter for my alpine but I've got an older model 9813.

You can get the headphone jack adapter and plug it into the AI-net port to listen to the mp3s.

As far as charging the Ipod, you could mount the cradle and connect the headphone jack to it and then get a power inverter and plug the AC power cord into the inverter to get AC power.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

it is better to listen to the music coming out the bottom jack that is true line out where the top jack is just headphone out which is not as clear

Quote Originally Posted by rgold01
    it is better to listen to the music coming out the bottom jack that is true line out where the top jack is just headphone out which is not as clear
    I'd think the jack on the bottom, its the one recommened for hooking up to home audio stuff in the owners manual.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.