how do i get the shift boot on my airleather?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on how do i get the shift boot on my airleather? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a momo airleather shift knob off ebay but am having a hell of a time getting the ...

how do i get the shift boot on my airleather?

I just got a momo airleather shift knob off ebay but am having a hell of a time getting the shift boot over the bottom part of it. Is there some trick to this (outside of buying a momo boot)?
    When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro, - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

come on, I know a lot of people have the airleather.

Force it. The ring in the boot will slide over the bottom part of the shift knob with some elbow grease.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

no, don't force it, it will look like $hit. Use some isolation tape or anything similar and just build up a nice ring of tape and slide your boot over it so it's close to the knob. Taht's what i did and have no problems so far.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Well I am assuming he has the black "catch knob" that comes with the Momo Airleather that is supposed to hold the boot up. Maybe you didn't get that. This is the piece that fits into the bottom of the shift knob.

Well I didn't get that, and I forced it.

rally what do you mean isolation tape?

I beleive he means just wrap some "duct" tape around a few times to create a strong ridge and it should hold up near the knob just fine.

yeah, I just put on my Momo airleather knob a few days ago and am having this same problem. I dont want to force it. I am currently trying to come up with some creative idea to do this......
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

All right wait a minute. I want to make this clear. For example, I bought my knob and it came with a black shift knob boot "catch" tupe of metal piece that was angled up. I slid the boot over this piece and it hooked on to make the boot appear to hook up to the bottom of the knob itself. Is this what you guys have, OR do you not have this "catch" piece at all?

Quote Originally Posted by AjIsDope
    All right wait a minute. I want to make this clear. For example, I bought my knob and it came with a black shift knob boot "catch" tupe of metal piece that was angled up. I slid the boot over this piece and it hooked on to make the boot appear to hook up to the bottom of the knob itself. Is this what you guys have, OR do you not have this "catch" piece at all?
    I do not.

but now that I know its available I am mad that I didnt recieve one
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by AjIsDope
    no catch piece.

I wrapped the shifter in duct tape and the boot seems to be staying up ok, really wish I hadn't forced it though cause it is a bit warped now. Oh well, still an AWESOME shift knob.

i told you not to force it
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Damn sorry dude. I thought all these Momo knobs came with a catch piece. Guess not.

Okay, maybe I can help a bit here. There are two Momo air leather type knobs out there:

-Standard Momo knob that you can buy. It uses three allen screw things to secure it to the shifter. It comes with a collar that threads to the base of the knob. Use some locktite to keep them secure and tight. This is what I have. I left the threaded base of the knob exposed and I did not use the collar. The boot will slide over the threaded portion of the knob. Use a little waterless soap and some care. It fits nice, snug and flush. It will not slide off.

-Momo "Subaru" air leather knob. I don't have this one, but I would expect that it would come with the hardware to mount to the OEM boot.
    James

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, if he doesn't like what you have to say, it'll be OK because you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.