Amp and Woofer question?

This is a discussion on Amp and Woofer question? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, Has anyone heard the following amp/woofer combo and could you comment on the sound? Amp: McIntosh MCC301M Woofer: ...

I Support ClubWRX

Amp and Woofer question?

Hello all,

Has anyone heard the following amp/woofer combo and could you comment on the sound?

Amp: McIntosh MCC301M
    Woofer: Skaaning SK300-304 (single voice coil model)

EDIT: Source will be a Becker unit.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-03-2004 at 03:05 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump

Music is primarily classical and blues/rock.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

becker, hmmmmmmmm sounds like a mercedes head unit, not too good unless it has an rca preout,
    mcintosh is it the vacuum tube series, or solid state? it does matter because vac tube is known for easily picking up noise.
    and for your sub, to be honest never heard of it.
    let me know what you do have and i will do my best to inform you from there.

also the sub now that i looked it up seems pretty highend, are you using this for studio, home or car application?
    hmmmmm, let me know, but the sub is very good in my opinion seems like a bit of overkill.

I Support ClubWRX
    Becker does/did supply units for German firms like Merc and Porsche.

The amp is solid state and offers balanced inputs if I'm not reading the specs wrong (I assume these are XLRs but will have to look).

Ejvind Skaaning founded Dynaudio and Scan-Speak, among others. The particular woofer is from an abandoned monitor project and the specs are:

Fs 18.38
    Power 350W RMS
    Sens 91
    Voice coil 77
    Re 3.4
    Voice coil inductance Lbm 0.557
    Xmax 10
    Cms 1052.72
    Qms 1.722
    Qes 0.308
    Qts 0.262
    Vas 396.48

It's a power hog and our gut feeling is a high quality amp is needed to keep it in line. OTOH it sounds great in a speaker, but we've not heard it in a car (!) so I was wondering if anyone had.

Thanks for the response very much.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just checked the US price on the woofer myself. I see what you mean. This will be shoved into an older S-class Merc. The owner is a music lover. I might recommend using the amp to run a pair of separates and calling it a day.

Doh! He'll need two channels for that! Hmm maybe sell the sub and get another and keep the amp or something, I'll have to discuss.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-03-2004 at 05:27 PM.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The amp is killer. Balanced inputs will allow you to eliminate noise even if you've got a powerplant next to the amp. Zapco and other high end amp companies allow for these inputs which makes my life so much easier when it comes to vehicles that have headunits that CANNOT be removed such as Benz, Audi, BMW, LExus and other luxury vehicles. Reason is that the HU displays engine and other vital information. Regardless of how crappy the output may be on the radio, a balanaced input will allow for an incredible amount of noise rejection.

Never heard of the sub, but I am a Dynaudio dealer... and their subs are not very impressive, yet their components are some of the best money can buy, but you'll never convince me of their subs. Believe it or not, year after year, W0 from JL especially the 8" along with ADS keep being competitive at USAC and IASCA and SQ comps. They are also very inexpensive, a huge plus.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.