What gauges?

This is a discussion on What gauges? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm a diesel guy so you'll have to bear with me! My question is what are the necessary gauges for ...

What gauges?

I'm a diesel guy so you'll have to bear with me! My question is what are the necessary gauges for a WRX that will be modified in the future? I assume boost naturally but do you also use an EGT? I've installed alot of gauges on diesel trucks so I figured I could give my friend a hand. Thanks in advance.

Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

boost, EGT, and oil pressure or oil temp - these are the most common to start with.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

why would oil temp be important? same with egt for that matter

For the EGT are you all mounting the thermocouple before or after the turbo? Also where are you tapping in for the boost fitting?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    why would oil temp be important? same with egt for that matter
    EGT lets you avoid literally melting a piston.

Oil temp is useful in these cars as the sump is average-sized (<5L) and some users have reported elevated temps (above 110C) during heavy use.

Both temperatures directly linked to how much timing and boost one can use safely.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

gotcha thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRam
    For the EGT are you all mounting the thermocouple before or after the turbo? Also where are you tapping in for the boost fitting?
    best place for egt is number 2 or 4 cylinder, before turbo.

i'd take oil pressure before oil temp. pressure would drop a little before the temp would go up...but thats really just personal preference. fuel pressure is another nice one to have with an upgraded turbo. if you drop fuel pressure, you run lean and you can pretty much say bye bye to your baby.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

I agree w/ bluerex.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si