WRXs have horrible acoustics; rattle like mad!

This is a discussion on WRXs have horrible acoustics; rattle like mad! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I finally found something to complain about with my WRX... the terrible interior acoustics. EVERYTHING in the car rattles like ...

WRXs have horrible acoustics; rattle like mad!

I finally found something to complain about with my WRX... the terrible interior acoustics. EVERYTHING in the car rattles like mad: the rear deck; all the side panels; the glove compartment; the door panels; pretty much everything on the dash, especially the little cutout area that holds the clock; and the entire ceiling panel.

To fix this MAJOR problem (it's killing my audio quality and I'm ALL about the sound... much aftermarket equipment) I'm dynamating/insulating/etc every thing i can get my hands on in the car, or at least everything that rattles which is almost every square inch.

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that their WRX handles aftermarket sound systems so terribly. And, if anyone has done some major dynamatting, where would kew areas to get be? I've already done the doors, some of the panels, and started on the rear deck.

Brandon
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely dynamat the rear deck. Also, stuff it with something so that the lid doesn't rattle. Also, i fyou feel adventurous, dynamatting the wheel wheels (from the outside) would kill A LOT of noise inside the car. You would need to use the liquid paint on stuff as the dynamatt wouldn't endure the conditions. Also, dynamatting and laying a sheet of sound insulation under the carpet in the cabin will also quiet it down.

The acoustics aren't horrible on the wrx, the speaker placement is. using custon housings and door panels will greatly increase the SQ in the cabin, but it's a lot of work to do.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Dynamating rear deck...

How do I dynamat under the rear deck? I feel that would solve A LOT of my problems, but I can't get the rear deck of. I drive an '05. After removing the rear seat, it looks like to get if off you must unbolt it, remove the break light, and pull off the side panels that hold the pivote point of the seatbelts. But, it seems that without taking off the seatbelt pivotes, I can't get the panels off and therefore can't get the rear deck out. So, how do I get the seatbelt pivotes off, or what is another way to get the deck out?

Thanks!
    Brandon
    Brandon

I Support ClubWRX
    You can dynamatt the rear deck from underneath, but make sure to find dynamatt that will hold up in temp extremes as it's more prone o coming off if you use regular dynamatt. Once you do that, just stuff the deck with something to stop the actual panel from vibrating. Taking it off is more work than it's worth.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

But I can't get a good layer of dynamat under the rear deck without taking it off, and I really need to do that. I've already stuffed it little towels everywhere I could get into and it still isn't stopping the rattling.
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by hamz01
    But I can't get a good layer of dynamat under the rear deck without taking it off, and I really need to do that. I've already stuffed it little towels everywhere I could get into and it still isn't stopping the rattling.

I went cheap on this but it actually works pretty well.

I went to home depot and bought water heater wrap for about $8 and 3m spray. I cut the wrap in the shape of the trunk and stuck it there. No more rattles for about $11.

rattle killer?

Any ideas how to stop the rattles that come from the front dash - including the area around the clock and the long strip below the windshield? The window controls and locks also are rattling now on both front doors... this car is not built well for the money they charge.... but it sure is fun to drive... too bad it's so da*% loud.
    2002 Rex - Blue Wagon

I HATE THE RATTLE IN MY REX!! I have 2 12" JL Audio W3's and my car rattles like crazy, and i dynamated the whole trunk and trunk lid. Worst rattle for my is the area between the backseat and the rear window, its a pain, I really wish I could go back and spend $2400 differently, on exterior and performance mods instead of making my sound system better.

Don't give up! When you're trying to do a sound system very well and are putting lots of time/effort/money into, you'll definitely run into multiple problems that will make you wish you had another hobby. But stay with it; remember, the reward is definitely worth it in car audio. Everything is fixable, within reason, some are just harder than others.
    Brandon

The rear deck will come out by removing the rear seatback, unplugging the 3rd brakelight and carefully removing the handfull of clips on the underside of the deck. Then it comes forward and out. I put 5.25"s in the rear deck and they sound great since they have the whole trunk to resonate. I put coaxials in there, which is nice since the highs reflect off the glass and you can really hear them. Best option would be to stick mid-bass 5.25s in there.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake