Where can I get transformers?

This is a discussion on Where can I get transformers? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know where I can get various transformers for cars? That is, 12V in and different output voltages. I ...

Where can I get transformers?

Does anyone know where I can get various transformers for cars? That is, 12V in and different output voltages. I need them because I need to power different types of neon lights in my car whose transformers blew out, plus other things that came with transformers for home--125VAC. If anyone knows of any stores or online sites where I can find this stuff, that'd be great. I Checked Circuit City, Best Buy, RadioShack, and there's nothing.

Thanks,
    Brandon
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hamz01
    Does anyone know where I can get various transformers for cars? That is, 12V in and different output voltages. I need them because I need to power different types of neon lights in my car whose transformers blew out, plus other things that came with transformers for home--125VAC. If anyone knows of any stores or online sites where I can find this stuff, that'd be great. I Checked Circuit City, Best Buy, RadioShack, and there's nothing.

Thanks,
    Brandon
    If you just need a bare transformer and know what to do with it, I've always liked www.allelectronics.com and www.mpja.com . If you're looking for commercially packaged power stuff, I've never seen an inverter with more than one output voltage.

I'm a little fuzzy on what you need to do, actually. Do you want to have a 120VAC outlet in your car, then plug wall warts into that? Also, neon tubes often have a really high voltage. I had a supply for a neon bar sign that put out 10KV, for instance. I'm not familiar with the "street glow" type neons, though; they are probably lower voltage.

You can get DC-DC converters, and DC-AC converters, but I doubt you could find a unit that would accept DC voltage and output different AC and DC voltages, it's probably one or another.

I google searched DC to DC powersupplies and got about a bajillion results, so search around...
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Check this place: http://www.opussolutions.com/

They are DC-DC converters specifically for converting the standard 12v dc you find in cars to 3.3v 5v and 12v for computers. Could give it a try
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Thanks for the info!
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic