Wiring diagram for cluster...?

This is a discussion on Wiring diagram for cluster...? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here's the problem... I just ordered an STi cluster from a vendor. No biggie. BUT, they sent me a diagram ...

Wiring diagram for cluster...?

Here's the problem...
    I just ordered an STi cluster from a vendor. No biggie. BUT, they sent me a diagram telling me I had to cut a few wires in order to make it work properly. I'm not cutting any wires, sorry. I will release them from the plug, however. My question is; does anyone have a wiring diagram for the cluster on an 04 WRX, 5 speed. I would like to know what those wires do before I deem them "unimportant".
    On a side note, if you could point me in the right direction for the outside temp sensor wiring and sensor location, that would be a huge help.
    Essentially, where can I find WRX wiring diagrams if I don't have the FSM?

thanks,
    mike
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK, so I installed the cluster AS IS. Since the rear diff oil temp light is on, I'm assuming that the two wires were for that sensor. What I need to find out now is, where the wiring for the outside temp sensor is(would be) and how to wire one in.
    hmmm....
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

Hi,

I have the wiring book for a 2004 wrx. ( $20.00 from subaruwrxparts.com) Looks like the sensor hooks up to the black/blue and black/pink wires in the largest connector that goes to the combination meter. I can try and take a pic of the schematic, (its not very big) and email it to you or post it here. I dont have a scanner
    I found the sensor connector in the book also, two pin, black in color somewhere above the radiator or so..., kinda hard to tell as the pic only shows the connector and an outline of the car body.
    I would poke around the upper part of the radiator for a black,two pin connector that has black/blue and black/pink wires going to it? If you buy the OEM sensor it should plug right in, you would hope

Hope this helps,
    Kalman

ooooh....were you talking about the amient temperature sensor or the diff temp sensor wiring?...I just re-read the post. Let me know and I can look.

I was referring to both sensors.
    The diff oil temp light is on constantly, simply because I have no temp sensor.
    The ambient temp sensor is the one that is going to be a pain to wire in. Right now(1:30 AM, 47 degrees in New Jersey) the temp sensor reads 40 degrees F. The warmer the outside temp, the lower the dash reads.
    The wires that they told me to cut were a black(ground) and a yellow/light green wire(??).
    I don't have the Y/LG wire in the pin that they said, but instead have a Red wire.
    I don' t know, guess I'll figure it out when I get the FSM next week.
    Thanks,
    mike(at least I have my shift light!! )
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

http://www.rspeed.org/howto/sticluster.php

Pretty much all you need to know.
    Check out my 2002 WRB WRX here

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    With the 2004's, you shouldn't have to cut any wires from the cluster harnesses. I'm pretty sure the harness for the temp sensor is already in the car, you just gotta find it. From what I've gathered, the harness is somewhere up by the radiator like cmosfet said. The cluster and the temp sensor should be plug and play on the 2004's. I'll post up sometime soon when I find out exactly where the temp sensor hooks up.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

Thanks guys!!
    That is on heck of a write up(and it had the part number for the ambient outside temp sensor).
    Now on to the rear diff temp sensor. Let's hope that on is plug and play too(although I don't have an R180 rear end )

mike
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322