security system questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on security system questions within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm thinking about getting an upgraded security system for my WRX. The car came with its own but I think ...

str

security system questions

I'm thinking about getting an upgraded security system for my WRX. The car came with its own but I think it's pretty useless and is just a keyless entry system with a horn if the door is opened. I'm looking more for a system that has an alarm if the cars window is broken or an ignition cut if it is broken into or tampered with. I know nothing about alarm systems, any sugestions?
    2004 Black Forester XT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have just the basic WRX keyless entry or the upgraded security system?

The upgraded system has shock sensors with adjustable sensitivity. I've kicked my tires to test it and the alarm went off.

If you just have the basic keyless entry, I'd say Clifford probably makes the best alarms. The really top end systems have a lot of nice features. You can even add extra relays so that buttons on the remote control things like trunk release, window-roll-down, etc.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

I have a Viper with keyless entry, alarm and remote start. I have it wired so that you still need to depress the clutch to start the car with the key, but the remote start will only start with the parking break up and the car in neutral. With the remote start activated and they key out, the car will shut off if: it is taken out of neutral, the break is depressed, the parking break is disengaged or the engine is reved.

The alarm has an ignition cutoff, and shock sensor with sensitivity adjustment, as well as a feed from the trunk.

I have been very satisfied with the quality of the alarm, and would reccomend it to anyone looking for one.

My only complaint: that damn remote eats batteries! But its worth it for the range on the thing, something like 500ft line-of-sight.

speed safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

The factory is more than that!!

It has great shock sensors and an ignition kill, I think. hmmm...

It is adjustable by the module in the center console. I love MINE.

-Jim

What Jim says is correct. And it's VERY easy to install, like 60 minutes.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

I like my factory upgraded security system, all I did was add a aftermarket horn that has like 20 diffrernt sounds to it, I really didnt like the car's horn.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Jim, having now seen mine - do you still not think its worth the extra investment?

Speed safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

Originally posted by NJSubieTech
    Jim, having now seen mine - do you still not think its worth the extra investment?

Speed safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    That depends, how much was your system?

-Jim

i bought my car w/o the upgraded security system. if i were to buy the upgraded security system, it would only take an hour to install? remember, i'm a freakin n00b. if you had a choice, would you go with an aftermarket alarm, or the factory alarm? the factory alarm is $135 + shipping from www.subarwrxparts.com. TIA.

dan

how do i know if i have the upgraded security? ive tapped my trunk and its gone off before

I Support ClubWRX
    About all those comments of easy installation....easily installation may be great for you, but it's even greater for the thief. Particularly those factory alarms that all have the module in the center console which is held by 4 clips, you are most in danger. To be fair, if a thief wants your car, you will lose it...security systems are only really deterents for opportunity thieves and young kids wanting to go for a joy ride in a rex. All the talk about LoJack and other satellite trackers...ever lose reception of your cellphone in concrete underground parking or near big skyscrapers or the like? Besides, there are only so many places to hide the modules for alarms and trackers in a car. For the experienced thief, it doesn't take long to take off part of your dash, console, etc. Don't think that a blasting alarm is going to be to conspicious for the thief to continue looking for the console...chances are, the siren didn't go off. Most systems have only one or two sirens and they are usually external, in the fenders. Furthermore, where do you think the door sensor is hooked up to? You know that little rubber button where the door closes that activates the interior light? Wouldn't be hard to just prevent that from going on.
    Anyways, as stated above, chance thieves and joyriders are the only people you are trying to avoid and the install is much more important than the alarm itself.

The stock alarm is rather easy to bypass..

Any good theif can do it in roughly 15-30 seconds I recommend an aftermarket system with a few fail safes like backup batteries and sirens. I actually have 2 seperate systems that will be going in my car Both Alpine main units with various DEI sensors and modules... Not to mention a number of interior sirens and horns (can't steal the car or it's contents if you can't stand to be IN the car...)

Anyhow... I am an MECP certified 1st class security and car audio installer (which doesn't mean much ) but I do have about 10+ years of experience in car audio...

Bottom line is that ANY alarm more or less just makes noise (although many now have tracking and various features that actually disable the car) The problem with all OEM security systems is that they are VERY VERY easily disabled or bypassed with out even setting them off before hand... So to add insult to injury, not only can they be bypassed but it can be silently to boot...

I would recommend this line of defense, get an aftermarket alarm with a pager system, disable the exterior siren but install a couple piezo sirens (pain generators) and a set of kenworth air horns inside the vehicle.. Wire these up to the door pins or glass breakage sensor so they will ONLY go off if they actually get in the car but here is the trick Wire them so they are delayed by about 10-20 seconds....

Then get a shock sensor or proximity sensor and attach that to a pager feature so when someone tries to get in, they actually trip that part of the alarm paging you prior to gaining entry (and it's silent so they don't know that you know... ) Then buy a nice Mossburg Mariner 12 gauge shot gun and keep it by the front door...

Guy tries to break in by way of the "door lock dent puller" method, or maybe the window smash method... You get paged grab the "gauge" head for the car, the thief finally gets in causing the piezo sirens and air horns to count down... After about 10-20 seconds he has his head under the dash (right next to the piezo sirens) attempting to hot wire the car they go off causing his ear drumbs to burst instantly. By this time you have had time to creep up on the car and are waiting outside with a 12 gauge pointed in his general direction...

GAME OVER... YOU WIN He is now kneeling next to your car with soiled underpants and blood running out of his ears...

Anyone wanna try to break into my car?? hehe

Re: The stock alarm is rather easy to bypass..

Originally posted by HiFiWRX
    Then buy a nice Mossburg Mariner 12 gauge shot gun and keep it by the front door...
    Here's what I keep by my front door...I call it "the B*tch"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pdr_0015 (medium).jpg  
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Hmmmmm.. Note to self: When in New Mexico, DO NOT stop by Hot_Dog's house uninvited.....

Joe
    Mods |

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.