I need a warm and accurate amplifier

This is a discussion on I need a warm and accurate amplifier within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, here is my problem. I have been upgrading my sound system slowly over the past couple of years and ...

I need a warm and accurate amplifier

Ok, here is my problem. I have been upgrading my sound system slowly over the past couple of years and I'm almost done. I have good speakers, head unit, 2 layers of dynamat exterme in the doors, and quality connections, but my music sounds very bright and harsh. I think the harsh sound is caused by my Sony amplifier. It's not a cheap model; I paid close to $300 for it. I want to upgrade my amp to improve my sound. There is a new infinity model that circuitcity carries and on paper it looks pretty good. I'm also considering the JL Audio 300/4, but some people have complainted about it being too flat and not musical. I have also looked at Phoenix Gold and Soundstream, but they seem like they are designed to power subs. I have an Alpine head unit, MB Quarts in the front, and Pioneer 6x9 in the rear deck. Any suggestions for a musical and warm amplifier?
    Thanks,
    Ali
    Thanks,
    Ali

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    MMATS, Audison, Soundstream (Van Gogh), Rockford, Hifonics all have models that will work well. You could also try putting a resistor on the tweeter line to smoothen out the MBQ tweeter. They are very harsh and bright to begin with, it worked for me, and is very inexpensive, less than $5.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    MMATS, Audison, Soundstream (Van Gogh), Rockford, Hifonics all have models that will work well. You could also try putting a resistor on the tweeter line to smoothen out the MBQ tweeter. They are very harsh and bright to begin with, it worked for me, and is very inexpensive, less than $5.
    What kind of resistor do I need? Is it something I can buy from Fry's or Radioshack?
    Thanks,
    Ali

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    10 watt 10 Ohm resistor. less than $5 at local radio shack. It's worth a shot, it sometimes works, it did for me.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Soundstream VGA400.2 or... hifonics saturna4000?
    which one is better?
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

I have a zapco amp running my front components and couldn't be happier.

I've had really good luck with MB Quart and PG amps.
    Eye am so re todd did.

I Support ClubWRX
    The harshness you're hearing may be the speakers and not the amp.

I just installed a soundstream vga400.2 and it's awesome. It gives nice, clean power that totally improved the sound of my momo's. You can't go wrong with this amp.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson