OAT Sensor Hookup
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on OAT Sensor Hookup within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've got a v8 STi cluster installed in my '04 wagon and I've ordered the Outside Ambient Temperature sensor ...

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar

OAT Sensor Hookup

So I've got a v8 STi cluster installed in my '04 wagon and I've ordered the Outside Ambient Temperature sensor (same one off the STi) from SubaruParts.com. On the 2004's, there is supposed to be a harness on both the WRX and the STi for this sensor. Anyone know where it's at? Can someone with a digital service manuel help a brotha out?
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am not sure where the harness goes from the sensor, but I do know that the sensor is mounted up near the hood release latch at the front of the car. Fairly sure about that.. hope it helps
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Check out my 2002 WRB WRX here

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo
    Yah, I've seen that write-up before. Its the same one off scoobymods.com. The problem is that its a DIY for 2002-03; the wiring harnesses are different for the 04's and they lack the B28 wire, which is crutial to that DIY to get the OAT sensor to work. I'm still trying to figure this out though and when I do get it working, I'll post up a tutorial.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

(subscribes)
    May have more info later this evening.
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

OK, so it looks thus far that the OAT only works with the auto A/C feature. There doesn't seem to be a wire to hook the sensor to in the grille area(the OAT sensor mounts along the bottom of the lower grille, horizontally). This wiring MIGHT be in the harness that is between the condenser and the plastic underbody. I am going to pull it all apart today to see what I can find.
    The auto A/C also has a sunload sensor and assorted stuff, plus a separate control unit, so this might be a lost cause without crazy wiring.

We'll see...

mike
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

*Subscribes* Let me know what you find out. The technician at my local dealership seemed to think the wiring was there from the factory, but I can't find it either. I think your right to assume if its there, its tucked beind the radiator somewhere.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

Quote Originally Posted by GetawayInBouldr
    *Subscribes* Let me know what you find out. The technician at my local dealership seemed to think the wiring was there from the factory, but I can't find it either. I think your right to assume if its there, its tucked beind the radiator somewhere.
    I'll keep you posted as to what i find. I got a little side tracked cleaning up an oil spill in my garage over the weekend. Between that, changing ALL the dash lights to red, and getting the car ready to run at the track this Thursday it kind of got pushed back.
    Does your display show a temp at all? Mine varies around 40 degrees, leading me to believe that it reads resistance, and that there is a wire there. Could be way off, but we'll see.

mike

ps.. Did you get the USDM(mph) or the JDM(kph). Just curious.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

I got a USDM STi cluster. The temp readout is 43 degrees when its warm out, but when it starts to cool off, the display shows temps as low as 38 degrees. I also came to the conclusion that if the temp readout is changing then it must have some sort of wiring hooked up to it, which gives me hope that this project isn't totally unsolvable.

Does your temp readout ever go blank (not show a temp)? Mine does sometimes right when I start my car up or after I've been driving for a while. I've been wondering about this for a while. When my cluster arrived in the mail, the box was kinda smashed.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

Mine reads about the same, although it doesn't read "blank" unless I've just started the car. My box was in mint condition because it was shipped in a larger box with the shift light adjustment knob and the glass(plastic) piece with the 2 holes in it.
    Hopefully this week will shed at least some light.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

bump...
    friend just got cluster for his 04 WRX and he wants to do this.
    (as will I once I get one)
    There are many threads regarding 20-03 setups, but 04 is lacking.
    Ive read some people have done it, but I cant seem to find them anymore.

Regarding the STi HVAC controls, I have read that the OAT has some connections to that.
    But I believe there must be a way to just hook up the OAT sensor and with some good wiring and required wiring, shoudl be no problem.

anyone with info, let us know, ^^
    ------------
    AWDrifter
    ------------

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.