Amp help needed
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Amp help needed within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am looking at beefing up my rex's stereo pretty soon...and wanted to know exactly what type of amp I ...

Amp help needed

I am looking at beefing up my rex's stereo pretty soon...and wanted to know exactly what type of amp I need. I am looking to get probably 2 10" subs (not sure of brand yet) to put in the trunk and would like to mount the amp to the back of the back seat. I need the amp to power the subs at least...but since I am no car audio expert, what else should I use it to power? Front speakers? Back? Will I need to go with just a 2 channel amp or multi?
    BTW, I will at least for now be using the stock HU.

I am not going for competition sound by any means, but something that hits pretty well. Hoping to keep the amp and subs in the ~$300 range if possible. Also, where would you reccomend getting everything from? Caraudioexpert.com seems to have good prices...

Thanks a lot!
    Karl
    Red Rex Sedan 5 Spd
    - Tinted Windows, BEL 980
    - Hell of a list, ain't it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you are looking for a reasonably cheap way out, i would suggest spending all the money you intend on spending (for now anyway ) on the subs and sub amp. to get a good sound w/o going overboard i would suggest runnning two 4ohm tens and a two channel amp (preferably one that can handle being bridged down to a two ohm load) to get complete use out of your subs. not wanting anything to crazy your head unit and factory speaks should provide decent sound for now.

now as far as the brands, you should really go visit a few stereo shops and listen to what they have so you can factor in what sound you are trying to achieve w/the budget you have set to stay around. make sure you tell whoever showing the equip. what type of music you usually listen to, this aides in picking out a speaker box design/size as well. a few brands of subs that i have experience w/and have had good luck w/are XTANT, Concept, Image Dynamics, Digital Designs, and Kicker. sorry for ramblin on and on. hopefully this helps w/o confusing you, if you have any questions let me know.
    -------bille

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Can a mono amp power two subs..or is that a dumb question? I know I had read that if you will just be using the amp to power subs, you should go with a mono... Also, something I forgot to add was that I have the upgraded speakers with sub under the seat. Will that change anything? Should I unhook the stock sub or will it still be able to be used?

Any suggestions as to a model of amp to get so that I could take a look at the price and feature range you think would be good?

Thanks-
    Karl
    Red Rex Sedan 5 Spd

Anyone else?

Anyone else have some advice? I need all of the car audio knowledge I can get!
    Red Rex Sedan 5 Spd

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by doctorKJ
    Thanks a lot for your reply!

Can a mono amp power two subs..or is that a dumb question? I know I had read that if you will just be using the amp to power subs, you should go with a mono... Also, something I forgot to add was that I have the upgraded speakers with sub under the seat. Will that change anything? Should I unhook the stock sub or will it still be able to be used?

Any suggestions as to a model of amp to get so that I could take a look at the price and feature range you think would be good?

Thanks-
    Karl
    First off, I'd ditch the factory sub. It won't come close to matching the two new ones you get. It might not even handle the power of the new amp you end up with (of course, that would be easy to read it and check). As far as the mono amp thing.... when niceguybille mentioned bridging the amp, that is referring to running the amp mono. The idea is to take a stereo amp (in this case) and make it run like one output instead of two. This generally means you get more power as it causes the amp to run under a higher load (lower number, i.e. from 4 ohms to 2 ohms). Make sure the amp can safely run a lower load than what you plan on running it under. For instance, if you are going to run it at 2 ohms, make sure it'll safely handle 1 ohm.

It's been a long time since I've really been "into" the audio scene. I always used Rockford Fosgate, but there are plenty of great brands out there. Just do some online searching and try to get a feel for what's good and what's junk. Good luck!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Send a PM to Ivan (iv30 on here)...he installed Jason (PhreeZe) and I's subs and he lives really close to you!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.